Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any interest in a North East soob offroad meet?

I am totally in. I live in South Jersey, but would be willing to make alittle drive. I should have my strut spring lift installed along with my new tires and bumper by then, no problem. i only ask for good directions though. And if anyone else is driving through jersey, i would like to meet up and drive in a group.Rollin deep in subarus would be bad rump roast:headbang:

Any of those spots sound pretty cool, and it gives me over a month to get my shake fixed for long highway use!

Yeah, we've all got a month and a half to get our subies road-worthy for long treks on the highway... and then off-road-worthy for when we all get to wherever it is we're wheeling!

I'm working on mine every day now. I hope everyone else is too! We've gotta make it happen this Summer!

Ive been working to get my brat on the road and going all that I can!

I think this may be the week.:brow: I got everything fixed that is

necessary.....and she runs great! Im comin to this meet if its the last thing I do:headbang: PS - somebodys gotta post me some directions to this place :grin:

i`m still working on getting my dang tranny shipped from VA so i can put it in the hatch (2nd gear is gone) .

hatchmonster, which one are you now working on? the blue one in your avatar?

seriously guys, we have to find a good wheeling place to meet, so this meet actually comes together. it would be cool to get like 10 subes together, just like the WA guys do, so we can show them some pics of how the east coasters do:cool:

Here's a progress report (pic taken today):

DCP_5722.jpg

'88 hatch w/ EJ22, 4" lift, 6-lugs/swampers (duh!), full frame, rear discs, 2 1/4" exhaust, etc.

It runs like a motha', it's solid as a rock... but as you can see, more than a little naked right now. The hatch grew up right here in NY, meaning lots of rust. Well no more, I rebuilt the entire body top to bottom in metal last winter (thats a full rocker panel fabbed from scratch and a new quarter skin on the back, same on the other side). So with all the metalwork done I'm on body and paint right now. Also gotta do something for doors, maybe tube doors, cause it's awesome wheeling like this. Not so cool in the mud, but I'm sick of fixing rust and my original doors are pretty bad. Anyway, can't wait to get her back on the road, luckily I got a bud who's doing NYS inspections again!

In the back is my stock '87 from my av.

Jon, I might have a brat tranny for you... I could of course bring it to the meet, but if you want to get it sooner I could maybe bring it as far as Albany. I've also got a set of stock steelies. They're like black/bad red spray paint I think.

We definitely have to get everyone together and get a nice group shot. Those old Hatch Patrol lineup shots are SO badass! We don't know what or where yet but we've got a date... July 15th You've got a month and a half, so no excuses you guys!:)

ive got a few buddies with jeeps whove been to paragon. last i was told, you had to have a dual range transmission. i cant find anything on their website to support that, but id hate to see you show up and not be allowed to wheel.

ive got a few buddies with jeeps whove been to paragon. last i was told, you had to have a dual range transmission. i cant find anything on their website to support that, but id hate to see you show up and not be allowed to wheel.

Their website is a disaster but I managed to find this:

Basic SUV/4x4 Vehicle Requirements:

Seat belts and rollover protection for all occupants

Four Wheel Drive, low range is not mandatory

Hard mounted tow point front or rear

Recovery strap (no metal hooks on the ends)

Full size spare

Battery tie down

Orange safety flag

At least three vehicles in a group

I think a roof is considered "rollover protection." So I think we're good...

i`m game, that looks awesome! would everbody be up to a group 2, or would it be safer to go with a group 1?

Hatchmonster could probly suprise some of those jeepers:lol: the hatch looks great by the way, can`t wait to see it in person!

oh, and thanks for the offer on the wheels and tranny, i could wait for the wheels until the meet, but i did buy a tranny off ebay for $50, just waiting for the guy to find a box to ship it in:mad:

i`m building an srx hatch after the offroad meet:D

i`m game, that looks awesome! would everbody be up to a group 2, or would it be safer to go with a group 1?

Hatchmonster could probly suprise some of those jeepers:lol: the hatch looks great by the way, can`t wait to see it in person!

Id be up for trying a level 2....sounds like good times!:banana:

group 2 would be fun... that's what tow straps are for right? :clap:

rollover protection is more for roofless vehicles (jeeps, etc)

only thing i don't have is a fullsize spare... i wonder if i can get away with the stock spare... it'd probably be enough to get me out of there... :-\

overall there are 11 guys in this thread that sound interested. we seriously all have to get this together! i know i can`t wait:banana: plus, if we go to paragon, we can do a quick harry's u pull it run afterwards.:D there is usually plenty of ea82s there, and occasionally a few ea81s

my tranny is on its way i think, now to find time to swap it:D

talked to a local Jeeper if he knew anything about the place, heres what he said:

"Paragon is a very interesting place frequented by new wheelers and hardcore wheelers alike. They rate their trails GREEN (easy) BLUE (moderate to hard) Black (crazy hard) and Red (suicidal). I have never been. I have heard the green trails are very very easy, almost boring. I have heard the Blue are pretty tough if you do the "upper" Blues. I have heard horror stories about the Black and Red - my Jeep is probably up to doing mid-Blue trails if I ever went. I doubt I would ever do the Black or Red Trails.

I hear it's a lot of fun and nobody who likes to wheel and doesn't mind risking some damage ever complains about it, says they love it and all go back. I have known a few who have gone, got more than they bargained for, and not only didn't go back but also quit the sport. Probably an over-reaction but Paragon has that love-it hate-it thing as best I can tell."

At first It seemed like he had copy and pasted it from the site, but apparently if we do the blue we'll be doing great.