Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well I have 78K on my OB, I am the 3rd owner, the 1st was an older woman who had a heart attack. The 2nd ower upgraded to a Forester.

I have not been beating on my car but Reverse is totally SHOT!! I have been told there are NO new trannys in the US there is a 3month back order!!

I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their trannys?

The Kid

Well I have 78K on my OB, I am the 3rd owner, the 1st was an older woman who had a heart attack. The 2nd ower upgraded to a Forester.

I have not been beating on my car but Reverse is totally SHOT!! I have been told there are NO new trannys in the US there is a 3month back order!!

The Kid

If you search here, you will find a few stories on the 2000 trannys. Mostly, internal seal leaks or pump failures. Funny, how mostly MY 2000 are affected. Mine still works but low milage on the car.

Have you tried lucas additive or similar (last resort)?

Have you tried a flush? We're at 175,000 on our 2000 Leacy and have had no tranny (or any other) issues. But I'm paranoid about the AT and we do religous tranny service series ... at the Subaru dealership, of all places.

Kid,

I would second giving the flush a try, although if reverse is shot, it probably won't help.

If you need a tranny give me a call, we have several that should work on your car, they aren't brand new, but they have pretty low mileage on them and aren't from 2000's.

Hope all goes well.

Gabe

Mt Tech Inc

The Kid

One of the fastest ways to kill an automatic tranny is to have a very light foot. Old ladies are good for killing automatics. A light foot makes the clutches slip far longer then they should normally, they overheat, and thats it.

I really doubt that a tranny flush would do any good at this point. ONce you completly loose a gear, its game over.

Why not get a rebuild or a used tranny.

nipper

One of the fastest ways to kill an automatic tranny is to have a very light foot. Old ladies are good for killing automatics. A light foot makes the clutches slip far longer then they should normally, they overheat, and thats it.

nipper

?????????

How exactly light foot would make the AT clutches slip?

well i dont know if it is an issue today, it may still be on other trannies.

Transmission 101

The shift points of a tranny is determined by balancing two pressures against each other. Today you have other inputs in the mix, but it still comes down to throttle pressure (which is now the TPS) and the govener pressure (which is on the outputshaft of the tranny). This is done electronically by the VSS.

The govenor pressure increases with car speed. The throttle pressure is determined by one little old ladies foot. With a very light foot, the pressure slowly goes by the throttle valve, causing the clutches at whatever gear to slowly engage, and have a lot of slip. Now we all know soobies love to snap the 1-2 shift. The 2-3 shift on the other hand ( and i have no idea if it does or doesnt) seems to have a much softer shift, so that may be a matter of some kind of pressure regulation.

Buying classic cars from little old ladies they usually need a tranny.

Now re thinking what is wrong with the car at hand, the reverse clutch requires a higher pressure then the forward clutches to engage (this is also why it's doomed). You have lost some pressure for some reason. Either your front pump is dying, or more typical, the rubber in your transmission has weakened. Since Reverse sees the higher pressure, it will be the first to leak, and hence not fully engage. What you think is no reverse is actually "not enough traction" reverse. Reverse is applied, but not engaged. That means these clutches burn up real fast. Now with wet clutches slipping enough to burn up, the fluid reaches very high temperitures and starts to cook. The brown color of the fluid you are seeing is the clutch material, and the burning smell, is well, burned clutches. From that point on you have a slippery slope. Reverse requires 2nd gear to operate. There is a clutch pack and a brake band that is engaged to get reverse (hence why the higher presure). NOw whenever you engage reverse, you also have 2nd gear engaged slipping its heart out due to a pressure leak. Usually (not always) 2nd gear will go next (failure from trailer towing is usually an upper gear).

This is another reason why it is important to change fluid by the calender and not by mileage. Tranny fluid will loose its properties with time as well as mileage.

Now the best way to milk this tranny for time is to change the fluid and DONT use reverse.

Remeber just because you lost a gear in a tranny it doesnt not mean things are not engaged, it just means they dont have enough traction to transmit torque.

hope that helps.

nipper