Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 loayle

I have a 1990 subaru loyale. Yesterday when i was driving home i lost third gear. There was no sign of slipping or anything else. From what i can tell the transmision shifts off a vacum line.... Does any one know how to adjust this or has this ever happened to you?

... I would suggest Check The Govenor...

Assuming that this is a 3-speed automatic (aka 3AT), then I would agree that the governor assembly is the first place to check. The valving gets gummy and quits functioning properly, misreporting vehicle speed to the tranny valve body. Pretty easy fix... just take your time and do it right.

Hi Guys,

My son posted the thread for me while I was at work. Hence the lack of info. Yes its a 3spd 2WD tranny in a 1990 Loyale SW. There was no signs of trouble AT ALL. I was in the apex of a turn runnig about 55mph and she just quit pulling. I have 1st, 2nd and reverse but they have to be shifted manually. I put it in D3 and it refuses to shift. The trans fluid wasn't dark or burned. The differental grease was 1/3 quart low but I wouldn't think the final drive would factor in to this. Would it? The governor would sound plausable. Any other ideas?

Assuming that this is a 3-speed automatic (aka 3AT)

The 4EAT is electric shift and a rare find in Loyale's. The vaccum shift manual is even rarer.:lol: So I just figured in my narrow little mind he had a 3AT.

From what i can tell the transmision shifts off a vacum line....

Picked up an 87 the other day with the same problem. Going to take it apart today and see for my self this govenor thingy. :brow:

Thanks to ShawnW's write up I have a clue about what I am doing!!

This place and you people are GREAT!! :headbang: Stumpy

The 4EAT is electric shift and a rare find in Loyale's. The vaccum shift manual is even rarer.:lol: So I just figured in my narrow little mind he had a 3AT.

Picked up an 87 the other day with the same problem. Going to take it apart today and see for my self this govenor thingy. :brow:

Thanks to ShawnW's write up I have a clue about what I am doing!!

This place and you people are GREAT!! :headbang: Stumpy

I replaced the driven gear. It was gone. The drive gear felt OK. Bought two replacements for about $50.00 most of that was airfreight. Fixed it with one and hope to beat "Murphy's Law" with the other. Check out my other post on this. Se if you have an answer for it. I could see where wear could set in due to the design. That's really quiet a bit of weight flopping around under that cover.

What is your source for the replacement gear?

I replaced the driven gear. It was gone. The drive gear felt OK. Bought two replacements for about $50.00 most of that was airfreight. Fixed it with one and hope to beat "Murphy's Law" with the other. Check out my other post on this. Se if you have an answer for it. I could see where wear could set in due to the design. That's really quiet a bit of weight flopping around under that cover.

Got mine taken apart today. Like Hayne's it's the drive gear.

Kayakertom, I'll be checking on where to get the gear here locally. The Subie dealer first and then there are a couple trans supply outlets.

Not sure about what or how you measure the end play on the govenor shaft. Could be something like what you use to measure bearing clearance on the crankshaft. Don't know for sure.

Stumpy

Got mine taken apart today. Like Hayne's it's the drive gear.

Kayakertom, I'll be checking on where to get the gear here locally. The Subie dealer first and then there are a couple trans supply outlets.

Not sure about what or how you measure the end play on the govenor shaft. Could be something like what you use to measure bearing clearance on the crankshaft. Don't know for sure.

Stumpy

The driven gear is on the gov. The drive gear is in the tranny. If its your drive your pretty much screwed unless your a auto tran man. I think I know what you ment 'cause your not crying loud enough for me to hear ya in Shelby, NC

Crankshaft clearance I can see. Its something you can get to. But the gov. cap is what actually holds the gov inplace. You put the cap over it you can't move it, see it or touch it. CATCH 22.:confused:

The driven gear is on the gov. The drive gear is in the tranny. If its your drive your pretty much screwed unless your a auto tran man. I think I know what you ment 'cause your not crying loud enough for me to hear ya in Shelby, NC

Crankshaft clearance I can see. Its something you can get to. But the gov. cap is what actually holds the gov inplace. You put the cap over it you can't move it, see it or touch it. CATCH 22.:confused:

My error, it's the driven gear.

Dealer item only. Can't even get it at the Transmission Whare House. $33.00 at the dealer and they will have one for me by 5:PM tonight.

They make this thread like material (Been to long can't remember what it is called.) that comes in different thickness. You lay a short piece on the crank install cap (With bearing in place) and torque to specs. Remove cap and measure thickness with gauge supplied with material to determine clearance.

Seems like this should work unless the clerance is to great for this type of measuring material. Just a thought! Stumpy

... Dealer item only. Can't even get it at the Transmission Whare House. $33.00 at the dealer and they will have one for me by 5:PM tonight.

They make this thread like material (Been to long can't remember what it is called.) that comes in different thickness. You lay a short piece on the crank install cap (With bearing in place) and torque to specs. Remove cap and measure thickness with gauge supplied with material to determine clearance...

My dealer charged me $75!!! Dealer in Moscow, ID charged $33-ish, according to service records on another car. Prices may vary...

"Plasti-Gauge"... doesn't really come thick enough for this clearance check.

My error, it's the driven gear.

Dealer item only. Can't even get it at the Transmission Whare House. $33.00 at the dealer and they will have one for me by 5:PM tonight.

They make this thread like material (Been to long can't remember what it is called.) that comes in different thickness. You lay a short piece on the crank install cap (With bearing in place) and torque to specs. Remove cap and measure thickness with gauge supplied with material to determine clearance.

Seems like this should work unless the clerance is to great for this type of measuring material. Just a thought! Stumpy

Mannnnn! I'm now in the position of forgetting more than most people know. Its been so long since I rebuilt an engine I'd forgotten about that stuff. I'd think it would work. Now just need the tollerance. Its not one of those things a HAYNE's Manual adresses since they tell you to keep your gurbby little hands out of the gutts of an automatic.:clap:

Now just need the tollerance. Its not one of those things a HAYNE's Manual adresses since they tell you to keep your gurbby little hands out of the gutts of an automatic.:clap:

I asked about the tollerance spec's while I was at the dealer, no go. He recomended checking with a trans shop.

Got mine back together and have 3 forward gears now!!:banana:

I asked about the tollerance spec's while I was at the dealer, no go. He recomended checking with a trans shop.

Got mine back together and have 3 forward gears now!!:banana:

Congrats....Within the next couple of days I'm going to recheck the replaced gear for premature wear. I'msure it will eventually show up. You just can't wear one out without damage to the other. Hopefully the replaceable cog is softer than the driver.

:horse:

Sounds like you are talkinmg about plastiguage.

http://www.plastigauge.co.uk/