Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2001 outback is leaking water when i lift the tailgate after it has been raining.The water is coming through the trim on the inside of tailgate ,if i open the access doors to the lights it is pouring from the reversing light bulbs.I have to keep lifting the tailgate and lowering it to get it to drain.The sunroof drains have supposedly been cleared but has not solved the problem.Can anyone help because it is always raining in the uk?!

My 2001 outback is leaking water when i lift the tailgate after it has been raining.The water is coming through the trim on the inside of tailgate ,if i open the access doors to the lights it is pouring from the reversing light bulbs.I have to keep lifting the tailgate and lowering it to get it to drain.The sunroof drains have supposedly been cleared but has not solved the problem.Can anyone help because it is always raining in the uk?!

Clean out the drain slots at the bottom of the tailgate. (when you open the tailgate, you'll see them on the inside lower edge.) Water is supposed to get into the tailgate, but it's not supposed to stay in there. The drain slots are likely plugged with dirt, leaves, etc

Clean out the drain slots at the bottom of the tailgate. (when you open the tailgate, you'll see them on the inside lower edge.) Water is supposed to get into the tailgate, but it's not supposed to stay in there. The drain slots are likely plugged with dirt, leaves, etc

I have poked arounds these holes and they are clear.The water appears to be collecting in the tailgate light assembly at the bottom of the fog light and when i raise the gate water runs out of the back of the reversing bulb,sometimes when a lot of water is there it comes out of both reversing bulbs.

I had this problem too on my Legacy estate. My local garage told me this is quite a common problem.They took outside light unit off (its one piece I believe and can require some heat to allow the mastic to come free) and resealed it with fresh mastic when replacing it. Now I have no more leaks. -

I have poked arounds these holes and they are clear.The water appears to be collecting in the tailgate light assembly at the bottom of the fog light and when i raise the gate water runs out of the back of the reversing bulb,sometimes when a lot of water is there it comes out of both reversing bulbs.

I misunderstood your first post----I think Allanmcc has it right.....

• 2 weeks later...
I had this problem too on my Legacy estate. My local garage told me this is quite a common problem.They took outside light unit off (its one piece I believe and can require some heat to allow the mastic to come free) and resealed it with fresh mastic when replacing it. Now I have no more leaks. -

I have now solved this problem.First of all it is apparently a break in the seal along the top of the tailgate lights, It can be caused by even a gentle knock on this area.Cure is either replace the whole unit(fog /reversing lights) or a cheaper alternative is to drill a 1 16" inch hole at an uphill angle right on the very outside bottom corner of each of the fog lights. This will drain all water away. I am going to miss my early morning shower when i open the tailgate!! I have noted that the latest Outback has these lights at the top of the rear windscreen away from where they can be shunted.

I have now solved this problem.First of all it is apparently a break in the seal along the top of the tailgate lights, It can be caused by even a gentle knock on this area.Cure is either replace the whole unit(fog /reversing lights) or a cheaper alternative is to drill a 1 16" inch hole at an uphill angle right on the very outside bottom corner of each of the fog lights. This will drain all water away. I am going to miss my early morning shower when i open the tailgate!! I have noted that the latest Outback has these lights at the top of the rear windscreen away from where they can be shunted.

:banana:

Dear Nipper,In the uk we refer to a combination or cluster of indicator lights wether they are for the reversing of or to blind some idiot who needs specticals who is sitting on your tail trying to read the 3.l outback logo as reversing /fog. that means one light is above the other but not neccessarily in that order. They are in an assembly as one but operating individualy but also in tandem with their opposite numbers,e.g.,nearside and offside(not to be confused with english football offside)!!:clap:

Ferners got you, eh Nipster?

Dear Nipper,In the uk we refer to a combination or cluster of indicator lights wether they are for the reversing of or to blind some idiot who needs specticals who is sitting on your tail trying to read the 3.l outback logo as reversing /fog. that means one light is above the other but not neccessarily in that order. They are in an assembly as one but operating individualy but also in tandem with their opposite numbers,e.g.,nearside and offside(not to be confused with english football offside)!!:clap:

so is it kind of like a headlight high/low beam. its all in the same assembly, but either one can be used (although your description sounds like they can be used similtaneously)

Yes either one can be used or they can be used together assuming that the wagon(i am picking up your americanism now) is reversing in fog.