Ultimate Subaru Message Board

JDM EA71 carb ID

I'm trying to find what kind of carb came with my EA71. There are no markings. What did they use in Japan? Would I have to order parts for it overseas? I was told by my uncle, a Subaru mech, that I wouldn't find a rebuild kit for it in the states.

Well - the US EA71 manifolds use the same carb pattern as the EA81... same weber adaptor for both engines. The JDM manifold very well may be different. I have one of those odd-ball carbs in the garage too - came from an EA71, but doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on a soob from the US. Maybe it's from a JDM too.

I think your best bet is to aquire an EA71 manifold (or if this is a later EA71 JDM import, the EA81 manifold may fit). The EA71 had about three maybe four models produced over the years, and the later models are hard to come by so there is a lot of fuzy confusion about manifolds and interchagability with various years of the EA71 block.

Just a thought - it's not a carter/weber single barrel is it? Those came on some EA81's.... maybe in japan they got them on the EA71 too?? If so, there is no weber adaptor plate for those....

:confused:

GD

Late model ea71 engines have the same carb bolt pattern as ea82 carbs..

early ea71s didn't

ea8x manifolds will not bolt to ea71, ea8x is wider ie longer stroke

late model ea71 and ea82 carbs are almost the same on the outside

jdm equipped vehicles may have differed, but our caribbean market vehicles are damn close to jdm..

late model ea71 got fancy hydraulic lifters, ea81 valves, starter on the left (with respect to driver) bell housing and if fit into L-series cars had coolent passages and thermostat housing placement so it can mate to an 'ea82' (L-sereis) radiator..they also got a bump in power with an almost SRX camshaft..

On my JDM manifold, the bolt spacing is spread more than the US EA81.

I was told by the importer I got one of the last JDM EA series. I aquired the motor back '98 or '99. I probably have a US spec manifold somewhere in my mass heap of old school Subaru goodies.

My Hitachis swap directly from my EA81 to my EA71 manifolds. Exact same bolt pattern. Carter/Weber 1bbl has a different bolt pattern. I have a few of those laying around too. Never liked the C/W carbs. Rebuild kits can be difficult to locate, but Napa can get them.

My recommendation: Measure the intake manifold from head to head and measure the bolt pattern. Check with Bratsrus and get him to send you another intake if the measurements match. He probably has one laying around. I bought some EA71 stuff off of him recently. Then contact me or another poster to get you a good Hitachi on there. I have a few in my shop, but they probably need a good cleaning and a carb kit.

You can probably do a good swapover getting stuff from posters in here for under $50.. Add $30 for a carb kit and you're good to go..

I put 32/36 Webers on all of my engines when I have the scratch to dish out. I have 4 engines. 3 in boats (2 EA81 and 1 EA71), and another EA71 on the stand right now that's going in an ultralight air boat when it's back together. All of the intake bolt patterns are the same with the exception of the intakes for the Carter Webers, which are on my scrap pile.

I'm not looking for a new carb now, just wondering if I can score some parts like an accelerator pump. Carb is on the motor now and runs and drives, but I'm gonna take it apart and clean it up, and maybe rig up a mechanical secondary linkage with coathanger wire.