Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how much hp gain

Wrecked... 0

My cars run right. THe RX is running now, has been running pretty good for the past 2 months. My lifted wagon is forced into retirement after i beat it up on the trails. But, you know as well as I do how off-roading effects these subarus. IIRC you had to retire you hatch cause of it too.

-Brian

That telephone pole didn't jump in front of you! That motor didn't explode. You could pass Cali inspection. How many questions were posed by you? Or were you just post whoring again?

My hatch was retired due to rusty body mounts. After 5 years and 30K.

BTW, the ASV adds unburned fuel and exhaust back into the system not oxygen into the exhaust.

Wrong.

Quote - directly from 83 FSM. Page 5-14, Section 4, Subsection 2:

"2) Operational principle

The exhaust gas pulsation is transmitted to the air suction valve (a kind of check valve having reed valves) through the air suction pipe. When the negative pressure of a pulsation is transferred to the ASV, the reeds of air suction valve are opened and simultaneously fresh air from the air cleaner is sucked by itself into the exhaust passage. When on the other hand, the positive presssure reaches the ASV, the reeds are closed to prevent the adverse flow of exhaust gas."

I know you aren't much for this fancy emmissions stuff Ken - maybe you are mistaking it for some other system..... although other than the EGR I can't think of what. :rolleyes:.

Yes - I'm an a$$ sometimes. It's who I am, and I'm ok with that. ;). But I do offer help, and with it some advice - people need to READ. It's all about the books and the search functions guys.

An I stand by what I said about the EA81. It CAN make decent power - The aviation community has shown 140 HP (dyno'd) with heavily modified heads, cam, forged pistons, MPFI, and dual plug ignition.... but at a cost of around $10,000 per engine it would be absolute insanity to put one in a car. I would say that 100 HP is definately possible with the stock heads, but you are going to move it up the RPM range quite a bit to get it. The JDM dual carb engines were 108 HP, but with different heads, cam and compression ratio. We can get the cam and compression, but not the heads. 100 may be possible. It's what I'm shooting for anyway. Torque is NOT HP, they are totally different measurements - just look at a small diesel to see that. A Weber, exhaust, and disty recurve will give you great torque, but probably only 1 or 2 HP - maybe not even that. The "seat of the pants" that you guys feel is the progressive linkage of the Weber - it jerks open instead of openeing slowly with vacuum. Giving a more "sporty" feel to your pedal. HP is the same. I can go just as fast with a Hitachi properly tuned up. Had my wagon to 110 with one when it was 2WD. Still did 110 after the Weber. Top end is the same.

GD

Torque is NOT HP, they are totally different measurements - just look at a small diesel to see that. A Weber, exhaust, and disty recurve will give you great torque, but probably only 1 or 2 HP - maybe not even that. The "seat of the pants" that you guys feel is the progressive linkage of the Weber - it jerks open instead of openeing slowly with vacuum. Giving a more "sporty" feel to your pedal. HP is the same. I can go just as fast with a Hitachi properly tuned up. Had my wagon to 110 with one when it was 2WD. Still did 110 after the Weber. Top end is the same.

Horsepower = (Torque * RPM) / 5252

So in essence, Torque is not HP, but HP is Torque. GD is mostly right, the only way to increase peak horsepower, is to gain more top-end torque. You will gain more low-end Horsepower with low-end increases in torque, you just don't affect the peak horsepower much.

Horsepower = (Torque * RPM) / 5252

So in essence, Torque is not HP, but HP is Torque.

Exactly! HP is a FUCNTION of torque and RPM. Just like I said - you'll have to move up the RPM range and improve flow up there (cam) if you want more HP. Personally, I use these engines for off-road, so high end is useless to me. But taking a look at the specs of the JDM dual carb you'll see that it's 108 HP is at a higher RPM than the 74 HP of the stock EA81 single carb.

More air and more fuel is fine - that's exactly what you need for power, but the valve train will only breath so much without changing the cam and the heads to get more air. Forced induction is a possiblity, but the stock pistons will not handle much in the way of boost. Apparently there was a guy at SUB4 that supercharged a heavily modified EA81, and got nearly 200 HP out of it. It was in a Brat with SUB4 logos on the sides. Would love to see it myself....

GD

• 3 months later...

I've had an 84 gl and have an 83 and both have had vacuum leaks and blown disty vac advance. I think once you eliminate the problems in these areas the power is good. From what I've seen these cars can run half out of tune. valve job, carb bolt tourque, vacuum hoses, air filter, good2go....vroom

I think the major leason here to learn is everyone has opinions. Some are right, some are wrong. Like everything on the internet you should read it all with a pinch of salt. After you have read enough to convince you that it is true, then believe it. Even books get it wrong. Just because it's been writtin and published by a company doesn't mean it is right.

It does take a fair bit of knowledge and experience to get the search fuction to work for you. First thing you have to do is find the right question to ask.

The way I use the internet, books, media (newspapers, tv, etc) is find as much as possible, then find the stuff that has been said the most amount of times, then follow that (but not believing it to be true, so I do everything with caution.)

If you have a problem with one persons ideas, ingnore them. If you insult them, they aren't going to back down. Their human, take no $h*^ from no one.

DISCLAIMER: This is what I believe, not what is right or true. If you don't agree, keep it to your self, as I need LOTS of proof to believe otherwise. So don't waist yours, my, everyones time *please!*

:lol: