Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Luxury Loyale? :D

In the process of figuring out what I want to do with my new '92 Loyale, and I had a few thoughts over the past week of driving it, mostly related to the fact that, with a bit of work, it could pass for a luxury car. So, my thoughts. Feel free to comment/add ideas.

1. Stereo: 2 speakers doesn't cut it. I could, with a bit of work, go 6-way. Front door, rear door, hatch. Nothing obscene, and definitely not "OMG BASS" stuff, but a good sound system that could play clearly on the highway without working hard.

2. Exhaust noise. Custom exhaust, to get rid of the damn cats, with a presilencer where the cat should be, and a big muffler in back. Get the exhaust noise down to almost zero without restricting flow *too* much.

3. Interior noise: Pull the interior panels, and either use rubber spray, or Dynamat to help dampen the noise.

4. Exterior: I'm thinking a gloss black mostly shaved Subaru (remove the trim, fill it in so it's smooth, possibly remove the rear door handles in favor of poppers, keep the front & rear Subaru badges but no other marks) with tinted windows would look pretty darn sweet, and if it was done well, it'd be possible to make it look reasonably modern.

Thoughts/suggestions?

-=Russ=-

Loyle's were stripped down - they were the low end making way for the Leganus - get an 89 GL if you want all the cool gadgets.

GD

I agree, but I have an almost rust-free Loyale in my driveway right now, and a very badly rusted '87 GL that it's replacing. Plus, most of the GL gadgets will connect right up to the Loyale, if I so desire.

-=Russ=-

the dynamat is great for sound deading! but heavy too.. on the inside of the doors use the spray stuff (if your going that route), alot easier then laying the mat in there.. Also spray foam works awesome for filling cavities and does wonders for sound deading without adding heaps of weight.

hope this helps in some way...

rllywgn

before you mount the speakers in the rear hatch, set them on top when it's open and make sure the shocks will still hold it up. May want to try this on a cold morning as well. I've heard stories of people who have added speakers, just for the hatch to not stay open by itself any more.

other than that, be sure to let us know how well the spray dappening stuff in the doors works.

• 5 weeks later...

I had that problem with the speakers in the hatch - thank God I thought of thsat before cutting away ...

There are cutouts for 6" rounds in the rear doors of my Loyale - not the best sound dynamics on the planet, but you're right - better than 2 ... I used 4 Boston CX7s I bought years ago and never used - they're pretty sweet!

Wish that pic was clearer ... how does it look?

Yep - limo tint for sure - the 5% is the stuff that lets IN 5% of the light, so it's dark dark DARK ... but in Michigan we can't do the front windows - you cna only put a 4" stripe on the top portion of your front windows ... might look funny, but I'm goin' for it anyway (not the stripe) ... gotta fix the rear defroster 1st tho - tryin' that epoxy stuff - we'll see if it works ...