Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One of the three upgrades to my 91ss includes, new paint, new alloy rims, and window tinting.

On Ebay they have premium precut kits window tinting kits to fit various cars including my Sub.

Question is: has anyone on this board used this tint kit and have any comments.

I'm thinking of bidding one and just doing the tinting myself and save a couple of hundred $$.

I've never done it myself, but if you start with clean windows (and some beers, of course) and make sure all the bubbles are squeeged out, how hard can it be.

Mike

I've never done it myself, but if you start with clean windows (and some beers, of course) and make sure all the bubbles are squeeged out, how hard can it be.

Mike

Much easier said than done. I tried to do tinting myself once, and even with my most painstaking effort, still had small bubbles in the side windows. The back glass was a total disaster.

I'd leave it to the pros, can get it done for about $100 total here.

Much easier said than done. I tried to do tinting myself once, and even with my most painstaking effort, still had small bubbles in the side windows. The back glass was a total disaster.

I'd leave it to the pros, can get it done for about $100 total here.[/quote

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, but it's closer to $300 here in good ole southwest Colorado.

I wonder how the pros get such a good job. I have had three cars tinted professionally and no bubbles on any of them.

I don't want to screw it up, but it's real tempting to give it a try. The rear window, I was not even going to try, but have it done by the pros. The side windows didn't scare me much, until....now.

Mike

Go to Colorado Car Tint on 44th and almost Federal... It's a one man business and he's beeen doing it forever. He's pretty much the only guy I trust to do my window tint. He will go as dark as you want and will apply tint to any window you want...;) He charges around $200 and uses stuff better than 3M (can't remember what you call it).

Go to Colorado Car Tint on 44th and almost Federal... It's a one man business and he's beeen doing it forever. He's pretty much the only guy I trust to do my window tint. He will go as dark as you want and will apply tint to any window you want...;) He charges around $200 and uses stuff better than 3M (can't remember what you call it).

Denver sounds good, except that it's a 540 mile round trip to get there and back. Durango is 60 miles one way and theres a guy there that I've used before. Maybe I'll give him a call today to see if he will install the kit I just won on ebay. It would at least save him from having to cut the film,

but I usually don't like taking my own parts to a mechanic for installation. It'l like taking your own eggs to the diner for them to make you breakfast.

We'll see.

Mike

it cost me 148 bucks to have my back 5 windows professionally done. Zero bubbles. money well spent... also, on a completely off topic tangent, today i just put a set of michelin pilot sport A/S shoes on this 05 leftover with 8k miles on it. more money well spent. these tires are like riding on air and so much quieter than those re92s. and the tread pattern is completely off the hook. pm me if you want to see higher res pics. sorry the last part was ot.

post-16976-136027608174_thumb.jpg

post-16976-13602760818_thumb.jpg

post-16976-136027608185_thumb.jpg

nice wagon!

i'd go the pro route too. it costs a little more, but they leave no air bubbles.

you might want to wait for a vacation or something to get it done somewhere for less than 300 bucks though...(150 would be my limit around here, but colorado looks to be different)

nice wagon!

i'd go the pro route too. it costs a little more, but they leave no air bubbles.

you might want to wait for a vacation or something to get it done somewhere for less than 300 bucks though...(150 would be my limit around here, but colorado looks to be different)

OK, I called Sun Control in Durango and was quoted $229.00 for tinting a 91 Legacy sedan. I asked if I could bring my own kit for Larry to install and was told no problem.

The price breakdown is $129. for parts, $100 for labor. Bingo, a 100 dollars. I can handle that for a pro job.

So that's what I'm gonna do. I wonder if I should do this before painting the car or after. Probably doesn't matter seeing that it's only inside work on the windows.

Mike

BTW, the kit on ebay totaled 39.99 delivered.

if youre going to take out the windows to paint, waiting would be best. no point to pay the man if you're gonna take em out and possibly ruin the tint. otherwise, go for it (hope a/c blows cold, because it takes three days min to set)

if youre going to take out the windows to paint, waiting would be best. no point to pay the man if you're gonna take em out and possibly ruin the tint. otherwise, go for it (hope a/c blows cold, because it takes three days min to set)

Hopefully not removing windows. Relying on careful masking and prep work for the new silver paint job (944 code). Living in Colorado mtns it doesn't need to be concourse, but just nice and somewhat tidy to the eye. Drying/setting is no problem if I can keep reminding myself to NOT lower any windows on the hour long trip back to Pagosa from Durango.

mike