Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I use one almost like this only it has a long bar handle, it can be bought at Harbor Freight for around 20.00 dollars. I think it is called chain wrench. You can hold it with one hand and break the nut with the other hand without any one their to help. I also use the belt as Handtool says only I wrap it and then duct tape it so it dont fall off.

bd_1_b.JPG

Vice grip chain clamp.

I use a piece of old alternator belt to protect the pulley. Works well on cam pulleys also.

$20 bucks for that exact one at autozone. I needed this when I replaced my snapped timing belt. You can "rent" it from autozone for $20 and if you don't bring it back it's yours and if you do you get all your money back. Autozone has got your back. I just bought mine. Screw bringing it back!

no tool necessary. you can put it in gear if it's a manual transmission or use the access hole in the bellhousing to get to the flexplate and hold it in place there if it's an automatic. i've done both many many times. an even quicker and dirty way is to let the socket hang on the crank bolt and bump the starter (be sure not to start the car). be sure there's something for the socket wrench to rest against, it will slam against it and knock the bolt out instantly.

no tool necessary. you can put it in gear if it's a manual transmission or use the access hole in the bellhousing to get to the flexplate and hold it in place there if it's an automatic. i've done both many many times. an even quicker and dirty way is to let the socket hang on the crank bolt and bump the starter (be sure not to start the car). be sure there's something for the socket wrench to rest against, it will slam against it and knock the bolt out instantly.

No need to do the starter deal, I'd not risk it myself. But I'm overly cautious sometimes :rolleyes:

I've always just stuck a screwdriver in the flexplate or used a strap wrench. Lisle makes a nice one for $17 I think, plastic with a beefy yet soft plastic strap so you don't mess up your pulleys. I've used it for stuck oil filters, among other things =)

I've always just stuck a screwdriver in the flexplate
be sure to use something strong. i prefer a ratchet extension. crank bolts can vary wildly in effort to break them loose and that effort can shear whatever you put in the flexplate, dropping the remainder down in the bellhousing.

<<So what's the word currently on the torque for the pulley bolt? Is it still 110 pound-feet?>>

tighten the crank pulley as tight as you can get it. don't worry, you won't strip it. just make sure its on as tight as you can get it so it doesn't come loose on you.

Dont use a flexplate. A cracked one will result in weird noises and result in your having to pull the engine or transmission to replace it.

Starter trick is good.

Vise grip sells a chain wrench that is great quality.

Putting the car in gear and having somebody step on the brake works alot of the time.

A punch thru the flywheel on a manual trans car works well.

Dont use a flexplate. A cracked one will result in weird noises and result in your having to pull the engine or transmission to replace it.

Starter trick is good.

Vise grip sells a chain wrench that is great quality.

Putting the car in gear and having somebody step on the brake works alot of the time.

A punch thru the flywheel on a manual trans car works well.

Do the flex plate thing. I am not sure why anyone tries to hold the pulley, there is too much risk to damage it. Subaru actually makes a piece that fits into the flexplate just for this purpose but anything strong works.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what i ended up doing. I have a MT so it would probabally be diffrent on a AT.

I noticed on the passenger side of the bell housing about half way down there was a screw hole. On further inspection i found it goes right to the Flywheel.

I then took a piece of round stock and ground the end so it would fit between the teeth in the fly wheel. I cut the round stock so i could get a bolt behind it in the hole. Then i put the round stock in and tightened a bolt behind it.

ROCK SOLID!!! came of with a breaker bar and some elbow grease

Good luck to all:banana: