Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want AWD!

What's up folks!:cool:

My 1993 Loyale came with a FWD 5-speed transaxle from the factory. I am interested in not only converting to AWD, but also lifting this puppy up a little with some springs; I hear that Honda Accord front springs work well for the rear.

My question is which models would be most suitable as donors for an AWD transmission, rear end, driveaxle and suspension? Also, which components will I need?

Any input is appreciated!:headbang:

You'll need:

Flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate (different size clutch for 4WD)

Transmission

Shifter linkage and interior consoles

Driveshaft

Gas tank (some 2WD's apparently already have the "dent" for the rear diff, but others don't - just depends on year I think).

Rear diff, and diff hanger

Rear trailing arms, brakes, axles, etc (basically the entire rear end)

It's really easier to just buy a messed up donor car, as there are always little things you run into....

GD

You'll need:

Transmission

Driveshaft

Gas tank (some 2WD's apparently already have the "dent" for the rear diff, but others don't - just depends on year I think).

It's really easier to just buy a messed up donor car, as there are always little things you run into....

GD

Thanks GD!:)

So tell me; would other models work as well for donors, like wagons for example? Just curious about dimensional compatibility and so on.

Sure - any 5 speed, Dual Range 4WD trans setup is going to be identical. Doesn't matter what body it came from. You will find them in 85-89 EA82's. (looks just like a Loyale, but will be labeled a "GL" or "DL" or some derivitive of same).

For lifting, and wheeling etc, you definately want "Four Wheel Drive" as opposed to "All Wheel Drive". And you want the transmission with the low range, refered to as the Dual Range, or just D/R. AWD is rare for the GL's, and isn't geared porperly for anything but street use.

GD

The rear swing arms for a sedan are different than those from a wagon. Using the wrong one will grossly mess up your rear camber. Just about everything else should be the same.

Also, you will need to get the trans from a GL or GL-10. DL's never came with dual ranges. ;)

Thanks for the responses everyone!:headbang:

I'm thinking AWD might actually suit me as this puppy will be on the street about 95% of the time. I'm just really not very interested in doing any extra shifting; but we'll see what I run across...if a 4WD is the first donor that I find then I'll take it.;) Mostly I want the AWD for the snow and ice.

If lifting this thing a little proves to be too much trouble then I'll probably just leave the stock height alone...not really interesting in going through any special procedures just to get the alignment right.

Well - I think you are mistakenly thinking that AWD is more common..... it's actually extremely rare on the EA series. Only the 88/89 "Full Time 4WD" turbo's got them. Not impossible to find, but I could lay hands on 10 4WD 5 speed D/R's tommorow if I wanted that many. No - I'm serious. If I wanted an AWD 5 speed tommorow..... well I might just not get it at all.

GD

Normally when you lift an old roo, you do it for more capability offroad. Some might do it for "better looks" but that is just "ricer" to me.

So, if you are lifting it for better offroading, theres no point unless you put bigger tires on it. And the bigger tires will stuff up your gearing and therefore screw up your on-road driving... If you had a dual range FT4WD box (not sure if yous in the US got them) then you'd be using the lo-range all the time I'd bet with bigger tires. Anyway, bigger tires + no lo-range = total crap offroading... So you will want the dual range if you are going to mod the subie for offroading.

Or you could have the FT4WD box and not worry about lifting the rig and jus offroad on mild trails.

So many choices.

I have an AWD 5-speed tranny out of an XT turbo. I have tried to sell it, but nobody wants it. It was given to me, so if you feel like taking a trip up to Luray, VA, I'll give it to you. All I know is that it came out of an XT turbo that was a driver untill the head gasket failed.

Well - I think you are mistakenly thinking that AWD is more common..... it's actually extremely rare on the EA series. Only the 88/89 "Full Time 4WD" turbo's got them. Not impossible to find, but I could lay hands on 10 4WD 5 speed D/R's tommorow if I wanted that many. No - I'm serious. If I wanted an AWD 5 speed tommorow..... well I might just not get it at all.

GD

I really don't have anything against 4WD; in fact that would be my preferred route if off-roading was on the agenda for this particular vehicle. However, since I am in no hurry I'll just take my time and see what's out there for cheap.:)

Normally when you lift an old roo, you do it for more capability offroad. Some might do it for "better looks" but that is just "ricer" to me.

So, if you are lifting it for better offroading, theres no point unless you put bigger tires on it. And the bigger tires will stuff up your gearing and therefore screw up your on-road driving... If you had a dual range FT4WD box (not sure if yous in the US got them) then you'd be using the lo-range all the time I'd bet with bigger tires. Anyway, bigger tires + no lo-range = total crap offroading... So you will want the dual range if you are going to mod the subie for offroading.

Or you could have the FT4WD box and not worry about lifting the rig and jus offroad on mild trails.

So many choices.

Actually I'm not really interested in lifting the front at all...the front rides a little higher than the the back at present-this is the problem. I just want to boost the rear ride height a little, to flatten things out. I am fully aware that increasing the tire size will affect the gearing-which is why I plan to run 185/70R13's all around, since this is going to be principally a street car (I think I mentioned that already, lol:-p ).

I have an AWD 5-speed tranny out of an XT turbo. I have tried to sell it, but nobody wants it. It was given to me, so if you feel like taking a trip up to Luray, VA, I'll give it to you. All I know is that it came out of an XT turbo that was a driver untill the head gasket failed.

That is awesome! I would really enjoy a road trip....:headbang:

Things are going to be pretty busy for me in the next few weeks so it looks like I may not be able to make it up there until the end of the summer, if that's OK. Please hold on to that tranny for me though...I'll come get it for sure!:clap:

The rear swing arms for a sedan are different than those from a wagon. Using the wrong one will grossly mess up your rear camber. Just about everything else should be the same.

Also, you will need to get the trans from a GL or GL-10. DL's never came with dual ranges. ;)

If I found a rear end set-up from a 4WD/AWD; would it be compatible with my existing rear swingarms? (probably not huh:-\ )

I am fully aware that increasing the tire size will affect the gearing-which is why I plan to run 185/70R13's all around, since this is going to be principally a street car (I think I mentioned that already, lol:-p ).

If you count in hours driven on different surfaces my car would be getting maybe 2% offroaded... And look at it http://webmaster.beverleypaine.com/images...

But I still want it to be like this for when I do offroad.

It sounds like you have suspension issue, maybe worn springs/shocks. Or if you have the adjuster type rear struts maybe they are adjusted wrong.

The car should either sit level or tilt forwards, I guess you could use new springs to fix this, but if your shockers are the problem, you might have more problems with harder springs... Just a thought

Maybe if you posted a picture we could see if it's your rear that is low, or your front that is high...?

You'll need the swing arms from the 4WD/AWD sedan or coupe, but they should bolt onto the body of your car just fine.

Is the gearing different on 4WD rear ends vs. AWD rears? What are the differences I should look for; and how many different ratios were produced?

If you count in hours driven on different surfaces my car would be getting maybe 2% offroaded... And look at it http://webmaster.beverleypaine.com/images...

But I still want it to be like this for when I do offroad.

It sounds like you have suspension issue, maybe worn springs/shocks. Or if you have the adjuster type rear struts maybe they are adjusted wrong.

The car should either sit level or tilt forwards, I guess you could use new springs to fix this, but if your shockers are the problem, you might have more problems with harder springs... Just a thought

Maybe if you posted a picture we could see if it's your rear that is low, or your front that is high...?

That's a pretty rugged looking 'Sube you have!

I mainly want the AWD for if I hit a slick or icy patch in the road, and maybe a gravel/dirt path here and there.

Worn springs is going to be my guess, as the previous owner was a 350 pound powerlifter LOL!:clap:

I still haven't quite figured out how to post pics yet...sorry:confused:

You'll need:

Transmission

Driveshaft

GD

Would I still need a different/additional shifter linkage with a 5-spd. AWD transmission if I already have a manual?

Also, would it be possible to run just the AWD trans. temporarily without the driveshaft & AWD rear end set up? Would the tailshaft leak without the driveshaft installed? Maybe I could plug it somehow...:-\

Is the gearing different on 4WD rear ends vs. AWD rears? What are the differences I should look for; and how many different ratios were produced?

RX AWD Trannsmissions have a 3.7 final drive with the D/R lever with a low range of 1.2... so in essence, makes it 4.44 when in low range.

XT6 AWD Transmissions have a 3.9 final drive with no low range.

So the gearing is mostly the same with the 4WD and AWD rear ends. I'd go for an RX gearbox with the 3.7 rearend LSD.

RX AWD Trannsmissions have a 3.7 final drive with the D/R lever with a low range of 1.2... so in essence, makes it 4.44 when in low range.

XT6 AWD Transmissions have a 3.9 final drive with no low range.

So the gearing is mostly the same with the 4WD and AWD rear ends. I'd go for an RX gearbox with the 3.7 rearend LSD.

Thanks! I'll look for one of those; but how will I know how to identify one?

If you are lifting it, dont bother with turbo trannys. You want a Dual Range 3.9 ratio 5 speed. Then if you want LSD for the rear convert over a 3.9 rear end to LSD

The 4 lo in Non-turbo cars is a LOT lower gearing than a turbo. And the center diff lock/AWD that comes with turbo tranny? why would you want it when you could have controllable 2wd 4hi and 4lo from a D/R Non-turbo