Ultimate Subaru Message Board

of course it CAN be done.

should you? hell no.

first, have you priced a 6mt?:eek:

compare 6th gear ratio of a 6mt to a regular 5mt 5th gear ratio and I think youll be disappointed. too bad, otherwise there would be quite a few STi's running around with some SERIOUS top end.

also, you arent going to gain a whole ton of strength over a 5mt. some, but not much. for the price, a straight cut box would be better.

Well for one I think you would have to change the rear diff ratio. Secondly (I assume you mean USDM STi 6 speed) it does you no good to have the 6speed if you don't have all the electronics to control the center diff. Your stock unit has a viscous coupling center that requires no electronics, where as the STi 6spd has an open center diff with an eletrically locking clutch pack. Lastly, I'm not sure you would have much lower of an RPM on the highway. The 1-4 in the 6spd are the same as 1-3 in a standard WRX, and 5 and 6 in the STi match prety close to 4 and 5 in the WRX. The idea of the 6 speed box is for closer gear ratios for out of the corner acceleration.

Check up the whole final drive ratios and the inividual gear ratios.

also, you arent going to gain a whole ton of strength over a 5mt. some, but not much. for the price, a straight cut box would be better.

Actually... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that. The USDM STi 6 speed is a seriuosly beefy unit. I've heard very little about people destroying them.

You could probably find an older non-dccd 6-speed from one of those mad tyte jdm type shops.

It's going to be expensive in any case, and as was mentioned isn't going to get you lower cruising rpms or better mileage. Plus you would need a custom driveshaft if you don't want to switch to the R180, which either involves using the whole rear end or getting custom axles. Although that's a pretty small amount compared to getting a 6-speed and swapping it in.