Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oily 2.2 98 legacy brighton underbelly

ok guys the bottom of my oil pan and the cats and lower front crossmember are SOAKED WITH OIL......

FYI build date oct-97

I dont really see any oil anywhere else.....and it barley looses a quart in 3000 miles.....please help.....

Hopefully your solutions will include me putting some gasket sealer here or there as i really dont want to drop alot of loot on this car.

I already did acesory belts (both), ngk laser plat. plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter, air filter,silverstar bulbs, new wipers, and synthetic air in the tires.

thanks alot peoples i appreciate any help :)

Look at the bottom of the Timing belt cover, if it has oil on it one of 4 things could be the source:

Cam Seals either side

Crank Seal

Oil Pump O-ring

Oil Pump rear seal plate.

All require the T-belt to come off.

If it was only at the rear of the engine, I'd guess the air/oil seperator plate was leaking (behind the flex plate or fly wheel, auto/standard trans).

Rear cam cover plate on the back of the head is another common leak source.

Clean it up, and then check it often to see where the leak is coming from.

forgot to mention I changed the blinker fluid with some amsoil brand when I did the headlight bulbs......also put some blocks of dry ice in the airbox for a true cold air intake... :) LOL

thats your problem, you have a brighton, so you need a generic blinker fluid, not name brand. Make sure you used the summer mix

(btw i vote for oil pump o rings)

nipper