Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So here's the deal. My friend and I have a '92 Legacy and we want to replace the bashed up doors. We picked some up from the junkyard, but the more we think wbout it, the more we want to do something else...

So...

Has anyone fabricated new, custom doors for a Legacy, or know of a good way to do that? I was thinking tube doors, or some kind of half doors.

Got any ideas?

build safari doors. those are much cooler than half-doors. you could buy them, or make them with some tube, a bender, a welder, and the hinges and lock mech. from the old doors and use the newer non-dented ones for rain duty.

plus, they would be smooth = no cutting of passengers arms

I was thinking safari doors would be sweet. Do you think that as long as I made sure the doors were stiff enough and hit the same places on the body as the old ones, they would provide proper support and strength for the unibody?

Also, does anyone know of others who have done this?

Or anything along the lines of home-fabbed doors?

I kind of want to know what other folks have run into and what to avoid...

Yeah, I don't mind getting wet or cold - as long as the doors are functional and tough (looking sweet is also a bonus).

I think I will look into tube doors. That would be sweet.

Does anyone know what a good way to go about this would be? Any excellentdesign ideas/tips? A good shape? What tubing to use?