Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The '78 Brat Took Third AGAIN!

your cars have always looked great!

while looking through your album i saw you have an aftermarket steering wheel in your brat... how'd you do it? i want to get one for my brat but don't know which adaptor to use...

where did you get yours from?

looks awesome!

Wait a minute! Where did you get that Brat from?

it will look familiar to some older board members. EdAlexander had it a while back, and sold it, then it ende up for sale in FL, which is I think where Mary got it?

it will look familiar to some older board members. EdAlexander had it a while back, and sold it, then it ende up for sale in FL, which is I think where Mary got it?

I knew it! That's the one that was sitting at the used car joint right in front of my house! I wanted it so bad, but didn't near have the money. That is indeed a beautiful car, I can attest to it myself.

Yes, it is the one from Orlando... Lance Walton. We gutted the interior and redid it all. Dash, seats, seat belts, windshield, steering wheel and speakers.

It was a mechanical nightmare... we have changed everything from axles to tailpipe. Engine, transmission, carb, alternator, starter, voltage regulator, T-stat, ADS, all the engine wiring, hood release cable, complete new exhaust, struts, shocks, axles, hub, calipers, wheel bearings, tires and rims... and a multitude of little gizmos.

It runs great now. It was well worth the effort.

your cars have always looked great!

while looking through your album i saw you have an aftermarket steering wheel in your brat... how'd you do it? i want to get one for my brat but don't know which adaptor to use...

where did you get yours from?

looks awesome!

Thanks!

So as far as the steering wheel goes. It's a Pilot from Autozone and an adapter can be ordered for it. Tim took the old wheel and cut the hub out of it and welded into the new one... without the real adapter, the horn won't work, so we have a button on the column. It's a little harder to turn with the smaller wheel, but it looks sportier with the new seats.

WOW! I've looked through the albums but I've never seen that car. Holy Tomato Cow, that thing is gorgeous! Did you restore it yourself?

Congrats!

Bryan

The red one? Yes, I chemically stripped it and Tim repainted it. My words when seeing the red were a little stronger than Holy Tomato Cow! It was soooo bright!

I got the decals from McBrat and the trim was off the shelf. Made a big difference and it turned out very nice. The red one was mechanically sound, but painted primer grey. We changed out the carpet and seats.

It's not old enough to compete in the major shows... it has another 5 years to go :(

Yes, it is the one from Orlando... Lance Walton. We gutted the interior and redid it all. Dash, seats, seat belts, windshield, steering wheel and speakers.

It was a mechanical nightmare... we have changed everything from axles to tailpipe. Engine, transmission, carb, alternator, starter, voltage regulator, T-stat, ADS, all the engine wiring, hood release cable, complete new exhaust, struts, shocks, axles, hub, calipers, wheel bearings, tires and rims... and a multitude of little gizmos.

It runs great now. It was well worth the effort.

You had to put that much work into it?? I knew the car needed new front calipers when it was at the lot, but I didn't know it needed all that. You put a new engine and transmission in it too?? :(

To be honest, Lance struck me as a dirtbag, a typical used car salesman. I didn't trust him. It's no surprise that he's since sold that dealership. But I would have looked past all that for a 78 Brat! :lol:

To be honest, Lance struck me as a dirtbag, a typical used car salesman. I didn't trust him. It's no surprise that he's since sold that dealership. But I would have looked past all that for a 78 Brat! :lol:

I never met the man... it was all done by phone and I cut whatever he said in half. I would have still bought it, but not for what I paid... I did get him down $1K. He over-estimated the mechanical condition, you buy a Brat for the body...the rest can be fixed.

• 4 weeks later...