Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant Conditioner ... to goop or not to goop?

As per WWP99 coolant recall on SOHC 2.5 L engines, I had the "Genuine Subaru Coolant Conditioner," dumped in my 99 forester almost 30K miles ago. Now the question is whether I I should follow SOA's advice to dump another bottle of the stuff in when I replace the coolant.

The stuff is rebadged Radweld(I think), made by Holts of the U.K., a division of Prestone. On the Holts webpage, they claim the following for this product:

- permanently seals radiator leaks

- unaffected by antifreeze

- contains rust inhibitors

- safe for use with rubber hoses

I know of one incident in which this stuff gooped up the weep hole of the water pump, which caused more neglect of failing pump bearings and serious engine damage as a consequence of overheating. This is probably avoidable with pre-emptive (regular) maintenance and unlikely with the low silicate/phosphate coolants on the market. In the 2.5 L engines, most of us replace our water pumps at the time of timing belt service, before they ever become problems.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with this genuine goop?

If you are under 100K this should be a No Brainer. Recall Conditioner in, Subaru 60K warrenty extended to 100K ( for cooling problems ). Just keep your dated receipts.

Cheap way to extend factory warrenty and prevent the external leak.

If I'm correct, I think the question is more whether a second applciation at some point is required because the old stuff "wears out" and whether more goop in the cooling innards is needed or even detrimental. Seems like at very least a tranmission flush agent before refilling would be a good idea.

We've had it in our '00 Legacy for 20,000 miles or so, also no issues.

The recall stated, as the page I remember putting into MY02 Forester manual, that when the coolant is replaced at the 30K intervals, the Subaru recommended conditioner is to be reapplied ( thats what my manual insert stated ). When I asked at the parts counter thay said Yes...you must put it in each service to extend the warrenty.

There was an ammendment to the owner's manual sent out with the recall notice that reads:

"Important: To prevent cooling system leaks, always add Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner (Part No. SOA635071) whenever the coolant is replaced."

I am wondering if any of our European members havehad any experiences with Holts RadWeld (a British Subsidiary of Prestone/Honeywell), which is rebadged as the "Genunine Subaru" goop. Is it any different from the Prestone products on the market? I have over 100k miles on the odm so the extended warranty is moot at this point. I'll be replacing the coolant in my car soon and am just curious about these "miracle" cure products.

As a side note, my local dealers want $8-$12/bottle for an item that lists for $1.39 :eek: -- so should source the stuff online.

As per WWP99 coolant recall on SOHC 2.5 L engines, I had the "Genuine Subaru Coolant Conditioner," dumped in my 99 forester almost 30K miles ago. Now the question is whether I I should follow SOA's advice to dump another bottle of the stuff in when I replace the coolant.

The stuff is rebadged Radweld(I think), made by Holts of the U.K., a division of Prestone. On the Holts webpage, they claim the following for this product:

- permanently seals radiator leaks

- unaffected by antifreeze

- contains rust inhibitors

- safe for use with rubber hoses

I know of one incident in which this stuff gooped up the weep hole of the water pump, which caused more neglect of failing pump bearings and serious engine damage as a consequence of overheating. This is probably avoidable with pre-emptive (regular) maintenance and unlikely with the low silicate/phosphate coolants on the market. In the 2.5 L engines, most of us replace our water pumps at the time of timing belt service, before they ever become problems.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with this genuine goop?

well the reason it gooped up the weep hone is that how it works. It sees the weep hole as a leak (technically it is) and plugs it up. The stuff only solidifies when it hits air. it wont clog the cooling system,

nipper

You should dump in another container of the stuff with every coolant change. Not so much for the warranty but to keep the HG from leaking. Hopefully it does some good for that anyway. Price comparison point: It's less than two bucks at the dealer on Manchester in St. Louis...