Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"when something expensive brakes its...

One of the "You might be a subi owner" rules.If something major or expensive breaks its cheaper to get another subi.The engine on my brat died.while follwing a lead for a new engine I made a backwater deal with a small junkyard.I get a running and driving 84 wagon.It has the 1800 motor,and D/R tranny.AND REVERSE actually works.it has some front end damage becuase someone hit a dirt hill to hard,and it is the most awful shade of yellow I have ever seen.I score all that for the price of gas to haul my brat 30 miles.So is it worth it?

a 1984 wagon with 1.8 and DR traded straight across for a 1984 brat with blown motor and in need of the shifter slop mod.The wagon is a bit more dented but its not like the brat wasnt going to get that way anyway.With the wagon I would take my friends camping and whatnot.

possible paint idea: How do you think this will look on an 84 wagon-Flat black hood,olive green rest of car.with a 102" whip on the roof.:grin:

I dunno my brat is beat up and the motor is blown,and the tranny needs work.I realize I wouldnt be able to haul stuff.the only thing the wagon would cost me is gas and the money to rent a trailer 2 hours.I do like the brat but short of paying $300 for a new motor,it isnt going to run.so a brat body is worth more than running wagon?

the junkyard wants 276 for a EA81 motor out of a hatch plus radiator.this is a JY that is 30 miles away.our local JY has zip for subarus from 1980-92.even then a motor from a 92 lego is 300.I dunno would PnP in spokane have EA81's?

what kinda tools do I need to pull an EJ22?

hell at 135 bucks for an EA81 or 135 bucks for EJ22...hmmm,I think I have a 1/2" steel plate liing around thats about 3ft X3ft..could make adapter...hmmm,interesting.

edit: where is the computer that controls the engine.not sure if theres more than one computer.

No way don't give up the Brat. they are worth way more than a wagon. Plus last I saw there were a couple of good cars over at Pull and Save in Spokane. If you go there let me know I might be able to sneak over there and give you a hand. I have a wagon that I think I want to put the EJ22 swap into but a brat sure would be nice:brow: