Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi..99 Forester 5 speed with 180,00 kms..had the left axel assembly replaced in Sept of 05 and 166,000 kms after noticing bad shudder while doing a tight turn to the left at low speed. I am now noticing the same shudder when doing slow turns in either direction..sounds like clunking and the gear shift shakes. Any ideas, axel again? wheel bearings? Clutch was replaced at 150,000 kms. thanks

Hi..99 Forester 5 speed with 180,00 kms..had the left axel assembly replaced in Sept of 05 and 166,000 kms after noticing bad shudder while doing a tight turn to the left at low speed. I am now noticing the same shudder when doing slow turns in either direction..sounds like clunking and the gear shift shakes. Any ideas, axel again? wheel bearings? Clutch was replaced at 150,000 kms. thanks

Do you FEEL it or just hear something?

Do asearch on 'torque bind' read some of the higher rated threads (4-5stars)

Carl

i would suggest putting the FWD fuse in to see if it emliminates the problem. Maybe you should do a tranny flush. Usually fixes the problem. Im just wondering if it could be the rear diff neeeds oil change. Nipper help man, someone?

i would suggest putting the FWD fuse in to see if it emliminates the problem. Maybe you should do a tranny flush. Usually fixes the problem. Im just wondering if it could be the rear diff neeeds oil change. Nipper help man, someone?

He said he has the 5 speed - so no test with the fuse.

Carl

also, as far as i know, torquebind on a 5mt isn't as easy a fix as with the 4eat

Yeah, it could be something as simple as the OP has on a different sized tire, but (as in that other thread) it could mean he needs a new VC on the center diff - evidently about $775 at the dealer.

Carl

Yeah, it could be something as simple as the OP has on a different sized tire, but (as in that other thread) it could mean he needs a new VC on the center diff - evidently about $775 at the dealer.

Carl

correct. Was that thread here? i'm back and forth between usmb and sl-i that i forget where what's been said.

torque bind on a 5 speed is bad news. All you can do is check tire sizes and inflation, but if you have gotten to the point where bind is showing up in a manual, it usually means the damage is done. The Viscous coupling is shot. Dmani hate delivering 800.00 bad news. Unlike the automtics, at some point the car wil become very tough to drive except for on route 80 in nebraska (road is dead straight).

When you do get it done make sure all the tires match, otherwise youll just burn it out again.

Sounds like the original problem was a bad wheel; bearing, but this is defanitly torque bind.

nipper

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay, work 6 days a week, 11 hrs a day during the summer..Found a good local mechanic who does subies and he suggested first thinb to find a big parking lot and drive in reverse doing figure 8's, maybe 10-15 times to see if the problem would improve and lo and behold it did..no noticble shaking on tight turns anymore..anyone ever heard of this and what did the manouver do to help..

torque bind on a 5 speed is bad news. All you can do is check tire sizes and inflation, but if you have gotten to the point where bind is showing up in a manual, it usually means the damage is done. The Viscous coupling is shot. Dmani hate delivering 800.00 bad news. Unlike the automtics, at some point the car wil become very tough to drive except for on route 80 in nebraska (road is dead straight).

When you do get it done make sure all the tires match, otherwise youll just burn it out again.

Sounds like the original problem was a bad wheel; bearing, but this is defanitly torque bind.

nipper

Sorry for the long delay, work 6 days a week, 11 hrs a day during the summer..Found a good local mechanic who does subies and he suggested first thinb to find a big parking lot and drive in reverse doing figure 8's, maybe 10-15 times to see if the problem would improve and lo and behold it did..no noticble shaking on tight turns anymore..anyone ever heard of this and what did the manouver do to help..

Ive heard this too. The best i can think of is is this.

The VC has plates with holes in them. Since the majority of driving is done forward, any build up of junk will happen in one direction, on one side of the holes in the plates. By driving in reverse you are reversing the flow of fluid, possibly breaking loose and fluid that has become glue.

How long does this work, i have no idea. Will it always work, i have no idea. Should you start saving money just in case, yes.

nipper