Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello to all. I am a brand new member of the forum and have some questions/problems which are no doubt common to all newcomers. My check engine indicator is on and my dealer ( for the bargain price of $90) informed me that I had 2 codes (although the invoice only lists one). It is codeP1507. They said I needed a new A/F sensor (which I understand is a front O2 sensor) and an idle control unit. They would be happy to provide this service for $720. I declined. My problem child is a 2000 Impreza L 4 door 5 spd. which has been a stellar performer so far. Should I replace the front O2 sensor first and attempt to reset the CEL codes? I might add that the car is running fine, getting 33 mpg, and is not due for emissions testing this year. Any advice from the gurus on this board would be greatly appreciated. I promise to explore this board further so as not to revisit too many problems that have probably been discussed here ad nauseum.

Thanks,

Mike

Lesson 1 grasshoper, autozone and most other autostores will pull the codes for free.

Lesson 2 multiple codes usually have a cause and effect, or chain reaction.

Lesson 3, whats the mileage, then we can answer better

nipper

lesson 4, welcome we dont bite :)

They will definately be able to do it now. So anytime you have another code go there. Autozone, advance autoparts....

Its prolly the original sensor. I would replace it. The sensor alone cost in the $100 range, so its pricey but you can do the work yourself. Get a oem sensor.

I dont know what the idle control unit is.

They will definately be able to do it now. So anytime you have another code go there. Autozone, advance autoparts....

Its prolly the original sensor. I would replace it. The sensor alone cost in the $100 range, so its pricey but you can do the work yourself. Get a oem sensor.

I dont know what the idle control unit is.

Your due for an o2 sensor, dont be surprised if you need the 2nd after you put in the first.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

Idle Air Control, dont worry about that. Replace the o2 sensor then see if that is still there. reset the codes by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds.

OBD I you needed specific readers, OBD II are universal by law.

nipper

Thanks so much folks. If I can get through this, and then deal with my impending clutch failure ( subject of a future thread), it will make the difference in my decision on whether or not to sell the car, which I would hate to do as it has never let me down and I regard it as a partner, not just a machine to get rid of once it gets old.

Thanks,

Mike

I had PO420 code - Catalyst-related - removing the negative terminal didn't reset it. I had to use the free Autozone reader to "Erase" it.

Is there a more thorough way to reset?

dissconnect the hot lead for 30 seconds, a hard reset is over night.

nipper

Thanks so much folks. If I can get through this, and then deal with my impending clutch failure ( subject of a future thread), it will make the difference in my decision on whether or not to sell the car, which I would hate to do as it has never let me down and I regard it as a partner, not just a machine to get rid of once it gets old.

Thanks,

Mike

hey mike, what's good? I have had four turbo legacys. you can't get enough!

do you do any of your own work? if so keep it for sure. if you use a shop I would still keep it. being a stick and a subaru you sure keep it for sure. north east and four wheel drive. how hard is this.

you have about 135 horse power in a flat four.

new question. last time I price a clutch the internet was fairly new. now a days you can get a good price on the whole kit. having just did an automatic trans in my turbo on the floor with only a floor jack, you can do this. for real remove the exhust and it will go good. two guys less that 8 hours; alot of bull sections also..

go on the computer and you can find what other cars use you o2 sensors in case you are near a pick and pull. F&S auto parts is in roxbury, ct on 67 garnet road. phone # 203-597-9724. I have brought parts from them. easy to deal with. honor what they sell you. on the web also.

your about 75 miles from me. but I travel around new york alot. hjolla back if you have any questions. be well, D