Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine problem- major bucks or what

On my way home tonight, the battery and brake indicator lights came on the dash. I had this same problem 2 weeks ago when the nut holding the alternator broke. Well I looked under the hood and the belts were in place, but the pulley on the engine wasn't turning. I shut off the engine, and the pulley that had both the alterator and AC belts was wobbly and loose.

Is this something major that I shouldn't put any more money into it? The car is a 95 Legacy w/188k on it? If it is a low cost fix, I will drop it off at a gas station in the morning. If it is big bucks, I will probably sell it for parts or something.

Help.... I need some quick advice.

Thanx,

Pete

It sounds like you have the known Subaru problem of a sheared/chewed up woodruff key/front pulley keyway/ crankshaft. You'll have to take it apart and see what the deal is. There are some folks who have come up with a solution if the keyway is stripped out- it involves securing the pulley to the timing belt sprocket behind it. Do some searches and you'll find the info.

If you really are just going to get rid of the car, you could have the pulley welded to the crank. It's a very bad fix, as there's no way to change the water pump/timing belt & seals after that-- but it will work.

Cheers,

Nathan

On my way home tonight, the battery and brake indicator lights came on the dash. I had this same problem 2 weeks ago when the nut holding the alternator broke. Well I looked under the hood and the belts were in place, but the pulley on the engine wasn't turning. I shut off the engine, and the pulley that had both the alterator and AC belts was wobbly and loose.

Is this something major that I shouldn't put any more money into it? The car is a 95 Legacy w/188k on it? If it is a low cost fix, I will drop it off at a gas station in the morning. If it is big bucks, I will probably sell it for parts or something.

Thanx,

Pete

Bet on a new crank pulley at the very minimum. This is what a sort of screwed up one looks like - blew up alternator belt and burned the alternator bearing.

I imagine a totally spun keyway would create an incredible amount of damage to the key and even the crank.

2035802_93_full.jpg

Thanx,

Pete

its a big fix. Usually if you catch it while its still wobbling you can save things, but when you get to this pooint i dont think so. Are you mechanical at all?

nipper

So I guess I should start looking for a new car?

not just yet. We are now in the "you cant make it worse" territory.

Remove the fan belts. Remove the crank pully and lets see how much damage there is. I had the same thing and lucked out, maybe you have too.

nipper

I removed the fan belts and removed the crank pulley was totally shot. The key was no where to be found either - and I just had my timing done a month ago. I was able to get the pulley and key from the dealer, and my brother in-law and I put it back together. I replaced the AC belt while I was at it, so hopefully everything is fine now. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the pulley bolt is tight enough. It seems pretty tight, but it would suck if it comes loose again.

I removed the fan belts and removed the crank pulley was totally shot. The key was no where to be found either - and I just had my timing done a month ago. I was able to get the pulley and key from the dealer, and my brother in-law and I put it back together. I replaced the AC belt while I was at it, so hopefully everything is fine now. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the pulley bolt is tight enough. It seems pretty tight, but it would suck if it comes loose again.

AHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoever did your timing belt did NOT torque the bolt down. it is VERY important that this bolt be properly torqued. If tou are not sure, find a shop or somone else to do it for you.

nipper

If your car has a manual trans., you can stick it in 5th gear and have someone stomp on the brakes while you torque it down or lock up the flywheel at the starter whole, but the latter requires more work.

If you have an automatic trans., you could use chain vise-grips and a section of the old old belt to protect and steady the pulley while you torque things down.

Finally, there is the more expensive option of buying the special tools.

Do a search on this problem; someone posted a solution recently which is relatively low cost (compared to a replacement engine). It involve drilling holes into the pulley as well as the gear behind and adding roll pins to secure the pulley before tightening down on the pulley bolt.

Thanx,

Pete

THIS IS ALL TOO COMMON. YOU NEED A NEW PULLEY AND WOODRUFF KEY. YOUR ENGINE IS NOT RUINED. SORRY FOR THE CAPS, BUT YOU ARE FINE, YOU'LL BE SHORT A FEW HUNDRED BUCKS, BUT YOUR ENGINE IS NOT RUINED.

Not to sell the above "solution" short, but that sounds like quite a bandaid. Would worry about keeping timing in check. What's happened is that your woodruff key has sheared off. You, or a trusted mechanic, needs to remove the remains of the old woodruff key, and pound a new one in. The odds are that you need a new pulley too. If CCR's solution is close to the same price as what I had to do, I would MUCH rather return the parts to ORIGINAL working condition. My 2 cents.

Actually, S-Wings Stuff's repair kit is a really solid, permanent fix IF you don't have damage to the crank otherwise, or the block.

If you can move the crank backwards and forwards (not side to side) you have probably damaged the thrust. In that case, you're looking at major repairs/replacement.

Otherwise, I've seen cars repaired with that kit that are running great.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com