Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all, this is my 1st post, idk why I never joined before, but here I am =) a subara enthusiast.

Anyhow, I am having a problem with my 98 Legacy GT Wagon. Here are the symptoms: 1. Check Engine light is on, not flashing, but on. 2. The spedometer stopped functioning, (tacometer is fine). 3. There is a rocking in the engine, noticable at idle, and highway speed (any time the rpm's are constant). 4. The idle is far below normal (approximately 100-200 rpms).

I am sure that its an issue with one of the cylendars firing, but would like to get input from some more experienced ppl. Also, can someone suggest a course of action? I am on a very VERY limited budget and would like to resolve this myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

need to see what that engine light is on for. have the codes read. autozone, advanced, others will hook up and OBDII scanner and read the codes for free.

write down exactly what code and description the computer reads. don't listen to the guy say "oh you probably need a new O2 sensor"....make sure you get the actual code. that's much more reliable than the random guy behind the counter.

Here are the symptoms: 1. Check Engine light is on, not flashing, but on. 2. The spedometer stopped functioning, (tacometer is fine). 3. There is a rocking in the engine, noticable at idle, and highway speed (any time the rpm's are constant). 4. The idle is far below normal (approximately 100-200 rpms).

Did these symptoms begin at the same time? If not, in what order?

dead spedo is odd on that year. You have two VSS sensors. If one goes bad, the other takes over and the cel wil come on. At this point you will have no AWD so be careful. A dead spedo would mean both are dead.

If all these happened at the same time check the wiring to see if anything is damaged.

DO you think your running on three cylinders or another issue. CHeck the electrical stuff first. These cars are real dogs on three cylinders so i doubt its that. You dont complain of no acceleration.

Pull the codes and let us know.

nipper

Im headed to autozone now, Ill get the codes, but as far as I know, this all happened at the same time. I havent noticed a tremendous loss in power, but it certaintly feels like something is unbalanced in the cylenders. thanks for the continuing info,

Jeff

Im headed to autozone now, Ill get the codes, but as far as I know, this all happened at the same time. I havent noticed a tremendous loss in power, but it certaintly feels like something is unbalanced in the cylenders.

If all the symptoms appeared at once, it's very unlikely that plugs and/or their wires are related to the trouble(s), since they wouldn't cause the speedo to stop working. A speed sensor problem might explain it all, since I believe that data is shared by the TCU and ECU (transmission and engine control computers).

Has the car been parked where rodents could have been chewing on wiring, driven through deep water (possibly causing corroded connections), etc?

Hopefully, any codes will provide a clue.

If the car has seen a lot of winter driving in Buffalo or other upstate area, salt may have caused some problems. It's been pretty humid in NY lately, which is often when salt from last winter that didn't get washed away starts eating things, including grounds and other connections.

Ok guys, more information: the codes may tell the story; P0301, P0500,

P1507 and P1540....and as far as actually driving it, Ive avoided it at all costs, however, when I gas it, the engine feels normal.

fuel/air+VSS+misfire=??

Here's what I've got on those codes:

P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected

P0500 Vehicle speed sensor malfunction

P1507 Idle control system malfunction (fail-safe)

P1540 Vehicle speed sensor malfunction 2

P1507 would seem to be an effect, rather than a cause; the ECU isn't getting some data, and is apparently going into a "limp" mode. P0301 may also be an effect.

I'd suggest that the things to concentrate on are the P0500 and P1540 codes. It's possible that one sensor failed first, but the problem wasn't evident until the second one went, at which point the ECU defaults to limp mode.

Here's some info I found on the VSS locations:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl833h.htm

I'm not sure that it applies to your model year. (I thought that the front differential was a location for one sensor).

• 4 months later...

I have 99 Legacy Outback. I have just had all the same codes except the 301. At idle the car runs very rough and at 4500 RPM the car also is governed. It will not let me go higher RPMs.

Please let me know what you did to resolve the malfuction. I will see if I can find more information.

I have 99 Legacy Outback. I have just had all the same codes except the 301. At idle the car runs very rough and at 4500 RPM the car also is governed. It will not let me go higher RPMs.

Please let me know what you did to resolve the malfuction. I will see if I can find more information.

The fact that it is govenered means that it is in limp mode. There is something majorly worng, can you start a new thread with all the codes?

nipper