Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a way to keep a responsive acceleration at all time for your 05 Legacy GT?

Greetings:

My car is 35% urban ad 65% highway. The NJ highway traffic speed on the passing lane is around 65~70mph. So I am force to keep a steady space most of the time. As a result, my 05 Legacy GT has a poor acceleration especially when I want to pass from 60 to 80mph in highway and from 30 to 60 in urban Ave. The "unlearn" method (disconnect Neg. battery and apply the brake at an almost empty tank before fill up...) and drive sportly (border of maniac) give back the Legacy its responsiveness for only a week or two max. However, it is impractical to do this at two weeks interval. So, is there way to keep a responsive acceleration at all time for your 05 Legacy 2.5GT?

Advance thanks for your time and help.

drive in D3 and kill your gas mileage is the other option. On the highway the car is tuned (remember it is only a 4 cylinder). It has limited amount of power. the other option is to get a turbo. Also you have the auto not the manual.

I went from the 2.2L to the 2.5 and was very happy with the response. You may be expecting too much from the car.

nipper

Thank you all for your input.

Nipper: What do you mean by "...the other option is to get a turbo..."? Mine is already a turbo.

Sorry i dont always equate GT with turbo. Well then your stuck. You loose responsiveness on the auto vs manual. Actually if you drive a NA 4cyl as opposed to a turbo you would see the turbo isnt all that bad.

About the only thing i can think of playing with the wastegate so the power comes on faster.

nipper

Maybe I missed something in another thread, but I don't see anywhere that he says he has an automatic.

Regardless, the EJ255's seem to have a big problem with hesitation as the manifold pressure goes positive (i.e. comes on boost). It will jerk and shimmy and rattle, but it will move once it's on boost. I've noticed several Legacy GT's that do this, and also an 06 WRX that I've driven (the WRX's now have the same EJ255 that the Legacies do).

Lemme do some more digging on this...

i think we are assuming it because he talks about resetting the ecu. Otherwise resetting the ecu is purely useless. i got corrected on the turbo thing and he didnt correct me on the automatic assumption. Since hes not shy about correcting, im going to assume he has an auto.

nipper

Does the 05 have an adaptive transmission? By that I mean one that adjusts it's shift patterns based on the drivers style. If you drive with a heavy foot, it will down shift earlier and up shift later. If you drive like a little old lady, it will do the opposite.

If so then I have heard complaints about other cars (not Subarus) that this can be quite annoying in normal driving. Fuel economy concerns by the manufactor cause them to program it so that it shifts to little old lady mode far too quickly.

Perhaps there is an aftermarket chip that addresses this.

The "unlearn" method (disconnect Neg. battery and apply the brake at an almost empty tank before fill up...) and drive sportly (border of maniac) give back the Legacy its responsiveness

As a form of redneck engineering, you might put a switch on the power wire to the ECU so that you can 'unhook' it when you like from the convenience of the interior.

If you then have to flog it to teach it proper manners, you might consider a job change and getting out of NJ.:banana:

Nick