Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thumping on acceleration-Driveshaft?

Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help me diagnose my 98' Legacy Outback 54K. I get a thump, thump, thump when accelerating from a dead stop. Happens more when I hit the gas hard from a stoplight. If I accelerate slowly, it won't make any noise at all. I replaced the passenger side axel which was suspect, but did not solve the problem. Thump seems to be coming from a little forward of the floorshift. Making me think it's the shaft. I've been under shaking things around, there is some play in there when I rotate the back tires, but not sure if it's too much or normal. Checked the heat shield and it's tight as can be. Any suggestions on how to diagnose?

thanks

get under the car and shake the driveshaft you have universal joints down there, plus a bearing and a bearing bushing.

nipper

should there be any play in the shaft? I have about 1 inch play in either direction.

Have you had any work done to the transmission or the shaft recently? Check that the shaft sits in a straight line from the tranny to the rear diff. If the center berring is mounted in upside-down, it will cause the shaft to not be in a direct line, causing stress at the center berring, which will cause a thump thump effect when accelerating, turning, or under loads. This is just one more thing that could be a simpel fix to get your car back on the road.

Well I just finished pulling the shaft, not as much play as I originally thought. One thing that did catch my eye and I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is normal or not. The geared spling on the driveshaft which slides onto the transmission tail has a keyway, if you will at 12 and 6 o'clock. When I examined the trans tail it is geared all the way round, in other words no keyway. The reason I ask is that my car is a salvage project and I've found on more than one occasion where the wrong part was used as a quick fix. I also noticed some yellow numbers scribed onto the tube of the shaft much like one would see at a junkyard to identify parts. Makes me think this may not be the original shaft and a possibility it's the incorrect shaft.

Any suggestions/ideas would be great! Thanks

Not really.... they look 8 years old but can't say there is much if any play now that she's out of the car. I plan to take it to a driveshaft shop and have them asses it. Any comments on the gear differences I mentioned?

Not really.... they look 8 years old but can't say there is much if any play now that she's out of the car. I plan to take it to a driveshaft shop and have them asses it. Any comments on the gear differences I mentioned?

way cool your going to the best place you can go for this.

Well I just finished pulling the shaft, not as much play as I originally thought. One thing that did catch my eye and I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is normal or not. The geared spling on the driveshaft which slides onto the transmission tail has a keyway, if you will at 12 and 6 o'clock. When I examined the trans tail it is geared all the way round, in other words no keyway. The reason I ask is that my car is a salvage project and I've found on more than one occasion where the wrong part was used as a quick fix. I also noticed some yellow numbers scribed onto the tube of the shaft much like one would see at a junkyard to identify parts. Makes me think this may not be the original shaft and a possibility it's the incorrect shaft.

Any suggestions/ideas would be great! Thanks

im on drugs now so not sure what your asking. Can you show us a pic?

The shafts shouold be plined all the wasy aroound

nipper

There are no keyways in the Subaru driveshaft. if you have them, it may be that you do not have the correct shaft. You may want to go to a Pick and Pull and grab one from a similar car to yours

that entire keyway thing wa throwing me off. Then the salvage car project, those can be a bit scary.

nipper

The dude at the shaft shop said the 2nd piece was out 25 thousandths. He straightened it and no more vibration. We'll see when I put it back in the car.. I showed him the difference in splines and he told me it was normal, not to worry.

The dude at the shaft shop said the 2nd piece was out 25 thousandths. He straightened it and no more vibration. We'll see when I put it back in the car.. I showed him the difference in splines and he told me it was normal, not to worry.

that will do it every time. God i love driveshaft shops :)

nipper