Ultimate Subaru Message Board
TheSubaruJunkie

You guys who redrill your rims, not your hubs.

I think I just grabbed one out of my bit box that matched the existing holes.

I'd get a angled stone bit to bevel it, though I just red-necked it on mine and tilted the drill, which I know does the backside as well, but my wheels were super thick. (and I only needed to do it on 2 per wheel...)

I know the studs are like... 14mm or 9/16. So i was thinking maybe thats it... but dont i want the holes alittle bigger than the studs? Also was thinking of picking up a larger bit like 5/8 or 11/16 to use to bevel.

-Brian

3/4 inch, thanks :) I can order pretty much anything through work... so i wanted to make sure i get the right stuff before i lay down the cash.

Did you use a 9/16" bit for the rims Monstaru?

-Brian

I think I just grabbed one out of my bit box that matched the existing holes.

I'd get a angled stone bit to bevel it, though I just red-necked it on mine and tilted the drill, which I know does the backside as well, but my wheels were super thick. (and I only needed to do it on 2 per wheel...)

i did just about the same thing. 9/16 plus used a angeled stone bit. good thing they are cheap. was toast after the 4th rim.

it was like 35/64ths or something like that.i got it to match the splined part of the lugs for when i was going to do the hubs.then ended up drilling rims with it.it gave just enough room for the lug,match it with a countersink and voile'.cool thing about a countersink is it's ability to pretty much center itself.

it was like 35/64ths...

My 35/64ths is nearly perfect match for holes in steel rim that I tried it on. BTW, one of the locals may have found an inexpensive source for high quality 35/64ths bits. I need to check it out.

you gotta love standard sizes... wtf 35/64... why cant everything just be metric!! Oh well, 35/64 it is with a 3/4 countersink.

-Brian

Haven't seen too many metric bits around here. A 14mm is what you truly need. A 35/64th is just a few thousandths of an inch smaller than 14mm.

Smaller? Then wouldnt I want to go with 9/16 which is near identical to 14mm?

-Brian

35/64ths is more identical to 14mm than 9/16ths. :)