Ultimate Subaru Message Board
backwoodsboy

PUSHROD CARNAGE! (w/pic)

Well.....after running 5 qts of diesel fuel through my '86 brat (ea81) to try and "un-gunk" my hydro lifters, (with no problems BTW) I decided that something was definitely amiss when it was STILL clacking and running on 3 cyls.

Sooooo, I pull the valve cover, and fondle all the pushrods (sounds so dirty):D And look what we have here! -OUCH!-

ROD.jpg

Four minutes later (literally) and with donor pushrod already installed .....she's runnin like its 1986 again!!!:headbang:

You don't have hydro lifters - that is a solid lifter pushrod. Hydro's are steel, solid are aluminium with steel caps.

GD

not all hydros came with the one piece pushrods.

As near as I can figure, that particular valve fell way out of adjustment, and the end of it slapped into the end of the adjuster cup.

Once it had even a slight bend to it, Im sure it was all over with for the high RPMs these motors see in a typical day. Im just guessing here.....correct me if Im wrong.:confused:

not all hydros came with the one piece pushrods.

Really? Interesting - all the ones I've taken apart had them.... I'll have to look under the valve covers on the one I put in the wagon - it's an 83 block I think. You know when they started?

GD