Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loyale voltage loss.. red lights on

This just happened today...1993 Loyale with 78,000 miles...had a two hour ride to do on the highway and un-wisely chose to use my AC all the way... warning lights eventually came on regarding charging/brake fluid and parking brake. These all came on at the same time, flickered a little, then went off. I turned AC off and braved the heat(note..I never use AC..really). All was fine 'til near the end of trip, when these lights came back on and stayed on. I just drove at night(lights were very dim, power windows very slow) to the gas staion and am lucky I was able to start the car after the refill.

Help. Where do I start? I feel the AC stressed this baby out. Do I need a new alternator?

And yeah, I'll be doing a search here, but am throwing this out while I do that...thanks

RJ.....BTCH

Thanks,

I'm still searching and finding some good info, I think,...strange that the three warning lights came on at once as if connected (and there is nothing wrong with brake fliud or brakes)

Unfotunately in my searching there is just so very many possible causes...hopefully it's just an alternator replacement...something I think I might have already from another Loyale.

Do you have a voltmeter? Check the battery voltage with everything off. Check the voltage with it running, and also for some rpm above idle. REport back. Or, take it to a parts store that can do a better test on the system.

I too think the alternator is near death.

Nick

The rectifier diodes in the alternator's internal regulator are dying or dead. This is causing the alternator to put out large amounts of alternating current. The diodes in the dash that prevent the indictor lamps from receiving power through the incorrect path in their complex array of circuits and power feeds are no longer having the desired effect as alternating current flows in reverse of the normal current flow - this causes them to glow faintly. It's NOT by design, and if not corrected, the AC current can damage sensitive components.

GD

Thanks very much for the specific info....on a related note, I had burn burning up headlights ( low beams always went first) on a regular basis, or at least every two months. When driving down the road at night, I would notice voltage increase and lights would get brighter... not burn out, but just get brighter and then go back to normal...eventually one would burn up before it's time. This had been happening for months. Lights were cheap, so I just kept spares on hand. Guess it's the alternator, huh?

Is it normal for an alternator to crap out at 78,000 miles?

It's not neccesarily the mileage - engine will run even when the vehicle is in traffic, etc. It's also the age - electronic bits get old, solder connections get crusty and shrink, etc. If that's the original alt, then it's 13 years old. And yes - it's fairly common to have to replace them every 100k or so. Cheap and easily replaced, so not a big deal.

GD

St Nickolas is right. A lot of automotive stores will check your alternator for free. Just make sure you will be able to get back home safely. If you have a digital voltmeter, test your alternator while it is running. You should get a reading of 14.6 if I remember it right. If the car is not running the reading at the battery terminas should be about 12.6 volts.

Sam

poor man's alternator test.. ive heard people say this isnt a wise idea, but there is nothing that it hurts on my GL-10 that i know of, and i doubt your loyale would be different.. (had to put in a disclaimer :- )

start car. unhook battery ground cable. or live, if you want. if car continues to run, then the alternator is functioning.

of course, if yours is going intermittently (as it sounds) the engine would only die if the alternator was not functioning, then.. IE, your red warning lights are on, etc... but mine did just that, on the road, headlights and wipers on.. and i knew within three seconds.. i turned to my passenger who was kinda panicking (she wasnt used to the idea of a car dying in the midst of rush hour boca raton traffic) "well, my alternator just died..."

but of course, as with any electrical/charging issue, check your grounds, check your fusible links, check your battery and cables (battery cables are ALWAYS a worthy $15 investment for a 15 year old car..) and take the alternator off and have it tested. if you gotta cough up 100 bucks for a rebuild, so be it. its worth it. you kinda need it. right?

:- ) good luck, electrical gremlins are always fun. let us know if your headlight problem goes away, that sounds strange.

So the battery was too dead to even start the car, yesterday, due to driving the thing the previous night with lights on, to a place where I could work on it.

I had an alternator laying around over from another Loyale and did the switch. I had to jump the car, but all warning lights have disappeared and the car is back to running smooth as silk.

Thanks for reassuring me that this is the place to come to first.

What should I do with the alternator I just pulled? Take it in for rebuild? Is that worth it?

My next question about this car is regarding the fan speed adjustments. #s 1 & 2 don't work. # 3 and 4 work but these are more than I need most times during the winter. Any easy fix to get this back to normal? This has probably been discussed elsewhere, though.