Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rwd conversion - completed

Hey everyone. Thanks to the infinite wisdom of the members of USMB i have finished my conversion to rwd.

Just some info about my car Ea82 turbo mpfi with the fwd partime 4wd box. Because it doesnt have the center diff i didnt have to weld anything. if i am correct it comes with the 3.7 lsd stock. i just took the cv axles out about an hour (i am a novice) each and the bearings came out real easy with a good hit. [check USRM : http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49959]

Advantages: Handling - the car has suprisingly alot more speed in corners, instead of understeering it keeps traction alot longer before sliding out. It is capable of awesome burnouts and some really shakey drifting (suspension needs work).

Disadvantages: because of the skinny tires (13 inch wheels) the car understeers and oversteers depending on steering angle and throttle position. it takes a good driver to balance it out.

caution: i was warned i might be tearing some diffs or breaking some axles when i was doing the conversion - i am running 10 psi top mount cooled with 2.5 turboback, have been on rwd for about 2 months now and no problems.

This thread is not intended as a gloat but as an interest for others. Hope its inspired someone out there. :headbang:

rex-side.JPG

I've been driving my Brumby in 4WD and it handles amazing with the 215/60's.. I'm not a huge fan of RWD, but if you like it, enjoy!

If you want to know for sure if you have a rear LSD, there should be a sticker on it that has LSD in big print, next to that should be a 3.700 :)

was the scoop stock or did you make it?

a bit off topic but i bought it like that

they dont come stock

its an autobarn one just been welded on and had some of the bonnet cut out.looks ugly if u ask me but its functional so... :confused:

FWD as complex as it seems is actually more effeicent than RWD due to less weight.

?? That doesn't work for subies mate... they have all the running gear spining all at the same time. Because we don't have locking hubs we get the rear dragging the car back when in FWD.

I just like FWD for the handling, please just agree to disagree with me I've had enough arguing. But, if I had AWD, theres no way I'd go and do a RWD conversion.. Youre going to be turning all the parts anyway, so it's not going to give you more power. It may dyno higher in 2WD, but when your on the road it's all spinning, so you may as well have it driven.

Its not the spinning parts that robs power, its the extra drag all 4 wheels create. Those spinning parts wont be under any stress, and the motor wont have to push the wheels on those corners.

Your not gonna gain alot of HP, but the motor spinning 2 vs 4 wheels is enough to notice a difference.

-Brian

Being in RWD only isn't going to burn up the diff. The same diff is used in RWD only cars, I apologize for not remembering which make and model right now.:confused:

I would say that a good front wheel alighnment to change the steering geometry(camber and toe) for rear wheel drive would help the handling. And try moving some weight to the rear. Battery, spare tire, etc.

Being in RWD only isn't going to burn up the diff. The same diff is used in RWD only cars...

If this is referring to Subarujunkie's post, he was talking about the center diff and not the rear diff.

The rear diff is plenty strong. The AWD-tranny's center diff was not designed for RWD only (duh! wouldn't be needed...), and the non-AWD trannies have a set of transfer gears that weren't designed for RWD only.

For those who don't understand the attraction of RWD, you won't "get it" unless you try it. Nothing I have experienced in a soob (yet!!!) quite matches 4-wheel drifting my 510. (...and drop-throttle induced oversteer... and feeling the rear squat and grab traction when you floor the throttle again... AAAAAHHH!!!!)

If this is referring to Subarujunkie's post, he was talking about the center diff and not the rear diff.

The rear diff is plenty strong. The AWD-tranny's center diff was not designed for RWD only (duh! wouldn't be needed...), and the non-AWD trannies have a set of transfer gears that weren't designed for RWD only.

For those who don't understand the attraction of RWD, you won't "get it" unless you try it. Nothing I have experienced in a soob (yet!!!) quite matches 4-wheel drifting my 510. (...and drop-throttle induced oversteer... and feeling the rear squat and grab traction when you floor the throttle again... AAAAAHHH!!!!)

Personally I like traction. I think the subaru AWD system is made to do a job, and Subarus have been built to do the same job. If you want a car that drifts, get a nissan. I'm not saying i think drifting is stupid, I think it takes talent and is a skilled profession, what I'm saying is a FT4WD or AWD subies arnt the cars you should do it in. Also you would have to be idiotic to do it on the road. Track day only sport.

I also put 0-60 before burnouts...

AWD/4WD FTW! :)

(just so you know, i was a idiot once and drifted my sisters nissan around a few wet corners)

Its not the spinning parts that robs power, its the extra drag all 4 wheels create. Those spinning parts wont be under any stress, and the motor wont have to push the wheels on those corners.

Your not gonna gain alot of HP, but the motor spinning 2 vs 4 wheels is enough to notice a difference.

-Brian

Explain to my simple mind this..

The wheels are always going to be turning, what difference does it make if the engine helps them or not? They are spinning weight. they will slow your car down just as much if you have drive to them or not... Surely?

Just to let you guys know, if i did have the FT4wd or AWD i probably wouldnt have done this. However, saying that, personally i favour rwd over fwd over a binding gearbox. Another good reason is to make my car unique...how many other rwd subaru's do u see?

I know in essence some might say i'm mutilating my subaru, but i don't see it like that.

Call me crazy, but driving in rwd seems alot faster than when i used to drag my 4wd system on the straightway.

Just to let you guys know, if i did have the FT4wd or AWD i probably wouldnt have done this. However, saying that, personally i favour rwd over fwd over a binding gearbox. Another good reason is to make my car unique...how many other rwd subaru's do u see?

I know in essence some might say i'm mutilating my subaru, but i don't see it like that.

Call me crazy, but driving in rwd seems alot faster than when i used to drag my 4wd system on the straightway.

Interesting. In 4WD my car will quite happily coast on a straight. Maybe because my tyres are fairly new and are all the same? I feel no power loss in 4WD vs FWD... Maybe it's different for others?

The only time I feel my gearbox binding is when pulling into carparks. Maybe tight city conering would be bad too..

I only use 4WD on the road when I'm pushing the car near it's limits, and its so easy just to throw it in FWD for carparks and intersections (you don't even need the clutch) just remember to do it before turning..

I'm on a mission to see how much it takes to bind a 4sp apart...

I'm almost at the point where I might put a AWD box in my car, if they keep closing all the good offroad spots.

I still say AWD FTW.

but you put enough power through any FT4wd box and it'll break the tires loose regardless. Trust me, I know from experience and will know again in about a week:clap:

The part time 4wd boxes will work in rwd plenty fine with the stock hp rating these engines have. HOWEVER, once you start adding any sort of power in front of these gearboxes, you'll find out quick, that they don't handle it very well, especially in rwd. Granted, I had a FE high compression EA71 in my '78 Brat and it was rwd, I never had any problems with it. I did only drive it for about 2 months with this configuration before the alternator died and I tore into it.

...If you want a car that drifts, get a nissan. I'm not saying i think drifting is stupid, I think it takes talent and is a skilled profession...

Ah! "Two countries separated by a common language" Or in this case, separated by a generation. It was only a year ago that I learned about the current usage of "drift" and "drifting". I was using the term as Sterling Moss, and Colin Chapman might use it.

Traction has its limits, and when on the edge of traction you are drifting. Beyond drifting you are sliding.

I'll second the better handling in RWD thought-

My hatch really likes tight, windy roads and dirt roads too as a RWD. Handling is much better, steering is lighter and more responsive, and the car is far more controlable at it's limits. Where before spirited driving would cause massive understeer and uncontrolable slides, now I can corner until it feels like the wheels are going to fold under the car. I'm thinking about putting in strut braces to help with that, though. For now, if I give it a shot of throttle when I'm turning tight, I can walk the rear end around and spook all the little ricer guys in their Hondas here.

Oh yeah, don't try that when you're in the inside of a two-lane turn lane when there's an old guy in an SUV near you. They tend to panic when they see cars being driven hard.