Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone have a source for 16" wheels to mount dedicated winter tires ? It is a 2002 Outback Wagon.

They don't need to be OEM and I don't want to spend big bucks to have the 2nd set of tires on wheels.

Thanks,

BKB

I got a couple at a salvage yard, so we could have full size spare tires instead of the sillly baby temp spare. I think they were $75 or $100 each depending on condition for the 16" 10 spoke alloys which isn't exactly cheap. Another option is http://www.tirerack.com I think they have new steel wheels for most cars, as well as 82 different kinds of new alloys.

Thanks Guys,

I looked at Tire Rack before and all they had was $200 + each -- now they have a few choices under $100 each. That is still a little higher than I was thinking, but I guess my penny pinching age is showing. At the price of mounting and re-mounting 2 times a year, it won't take long for them to pay for themselves.

Thanks again,

BKB :)

I used www.car-part.com to track down a second set of rims for my '98 OBW. It had the boring 15" 6 spoke rims on it and these turn out to be the least expensive style I could find, so I found a second set in better condition than the ones I had. I paid $45 each for 3 at one salvage yard and I think about $60 for the fourth one.

The old set with some corrosion on them have some nice Nokian winters that were just awsome this past season, while the new(er) set has Goodyear Assurance on them that are doing really great right now. :banana:

I used www.car-part.com to track down a second set of rims for my '98 OBW. It had the boring 15" 6 spoke rims on it and these turn out to be the least expensive style I could find, so I found a second set in better condition than the ones I had. I paid $45 each for 3 at one salvage yard and I think about $60 for the fourth one.

The old set with some corrosion on them have some nice Nokian winters that were just awsome this past season, while the new(er) set has Goodyear Assurance on them that are doing really great right now. :banana:

Our local tire store mounted our winter tires on new steelies @ $25.00 per.

why dont you just change the tires yourself, all thats left after that is mounting and balancing.

I suggest against getting the steelies at discount tire, I'm running them and they arent straight, if it wasnt for the fact I dont really care how straight they are I would be a lot more angry. It has made it impossible to get them balanced.

I would definitely use steel wheels for dedicated winter use. Alloys tend to corrode underneath the clear coat in the bead area, causing leaks. Used steel wheels often show up on Ebay after someone upgrades. You should be able to find a set of used 16" Forester steel wheels without paying too much.

Thanks again,

I'll check out Discount Tire.

I'd call or e-mail Tire Rack about the wheels that aren't straight - New wheels should be perfect. They should send a return shipping pick up label so it wouldn't cost you anything to return them.

I've used Tire Rack and Discount Tire before - I don't know why I didn't check them again before I posted, but glad for all the input.

Thanks,

BKB :grin: