Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 inlet onto ea81

i have seen somewhere (but cannot find it) an article that states the that the inlet pipes from carby onwards, taken from an ea82 will fit on to an ea81 giving it extra power. is this true if so what mdification is required, or where is the article located?

cheers chris

Yep its true.You just take the intake manifold off of an ea82 and it bolts right up to the heads on the ea81.The only thing that needs to be modified will be your upper radiator hose.Use one off of an ea82 and you should be just fine.

ok cheers for that

chris

I believe you will have to do a little grinding as well, where the ea82 t-stat housing is becvause it may interfere with the ea81 disty

I think I heard that too - interestingly, the SPFI manifold (which uses the same upper hose, and similar thermostat housing) fits just fine with no grinding or mods...... wait actually maybe that's because the disty has no vacuum advance can for the fuel injection....

But yeah - use an EA82 *lower* radiator hose in place of the upper hose when using with the EA81 radiator.

GD

i have seen somewhere (but cannot find it) an article that states the that the inlet pipes from carby onwards, taken from an ea82 will fit on to an ea81 giving it extra power. is this true if so what mdification is required, or where is the article located?

cheers chris

The EA82 intake manifold, where it connects to the carb, has a larger intake hole than the EA81 manifold's. Thus it flows more air, therefore more power if the carb you put on it flows more air too. I'm guessing/hoping you are upgrading to a Weber, or have one already that will go on this car. In which case you just need the EA82 manifold adaptor plate.

Of course, the EA81 carb won't fit on the EA82 manifold without a custom adaptor plate, but that carb probably will flow less air than the EA82 carb, simply because its bottom hole is smaller, to fit the EA81 manifold.

Yeah - Tom has a good point - don't go thinking you can use *just* the manifold. The carb won't fit. You'll need an EA82 carb, or preferably a weber.

Frankly tho - for the price of a Weber, my money is better spent on doing the fuel injection conversion. It's actually usually a bit cheaper, better on gas, and better performing.

GD

OK, this is all well and good, but the actual intake runners are the same diameter - at least between the '83 EA-81 manifold and the '93 SPFI manifold I looked at. That being said, if you are putting SPFI onto the EA-81 engine, you will gain power and get better mileage (assuming eveything is in tune).