Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It doesn't have any more problems than any of the other models pre-1996. The most common one is probably rust on the quarter panels and fenders. Other than that, these things are pretty bulletproof vehicles. If it has a lot of miles, it may leak a little bit of oil, but not too much.

Ah, yes--the wonderful '95 Legacy: Finest vehicle Subaru ever loosed on the highways of the world!

Okay, I'm prejudiced. Truth is any eleven year old car's condition is totally dependent on the life it's lead and the TLC, if any, that it's received. Do you know anything about it's history? It's owner? What's the mileage? What kind of tranny? What does a visual inspection reveal? How does it run, handle?

If you can answer these to your own satisfaction, then it might be wise (depending on your own mechanical abilities) to pay an indie mechanic to check it over.

Now, to get off my soapbox and answer your question--Nope. No glaring problems unique to the '95.

I can guarantee you one thing, though. It was an excellent piece of machinery when the original owner drove it off the dealer's lot!

Good luck.

the only thing i would caution you on, especially if you haven't owned an awd or 4wd car is, the torque bind issue.

if the a/trans fluid hasn't been changed on time (60k miles) then it has the potential to have torque bind. drive the car at slow speeds in very tight circles. very tight.

if it drives fine then no problem. if it jumps , bucks or feels like it is driving over top of the front wheels, then you might have a problem. when i bought my 95 i was new to awd/4wd and didn't recognize the problem. i thought all awd cars did this.:confused:

as mentioned before, this falls under the herading of "regular maintance". if the car was cared for then it probably is ok. when you own the car change the a/t fluid regularly. but if you are new to awd, it's worth looking for.

good luck,

john

Ah, yes--the wonderful '95 Legacy: Finest vehicle Subaru ever loosed on the highways of the world!

Okay, I'm prejudiced. Truth is any eleven year old car's condition is totally dependent on the life it's lead and the TLC, if any, that it's received. Do you know anything about it's history? It's owner? What's the mileage? What kind of tranny? What does a visual inspection reveal? How does it run, handle?

If you can answer these to your own satisfaction, then it might be wise (depending on your own mechanical abilities) to pay an indie mechanic to check it over.

Now, to get off my soapbox and answer your question--Nope. No glaring problems unique to the '95.

I can guarantee you one thing, though. It was an excellent piece of machinery when the original owner drove it off the dealer's lot!

Good luck.

What's the milage? Who is the seller? How many prior owners. What does the engine compartment look like?

Standard or automatic? What's the price?

Now add: $400 for new tires. $300 for exhaust repairs. Do your own: oil change w/filter. New Plugs. New front differential (gear) oil. Check transmission fluid level. Fix misc. busted stuff that the PO neglected.

Depending on the above, the car could be a real find. My wife's now has about 185K on it with no probs.

Hi I've found a 95 legacy for a good price and was wondering if there was anything about the 95 that I should know about. Does it have any glaring problems that other year didn't have. Stuff like that.

Thanks.

:)[/quote

I have a 95 legacy with 186000 miles. Great service to this point.

Only maintance to do such as the crank seal, cam seals, oil pump O ring or as I did replaced the oil and water pump when I did the other seals and cam belt.

Great car, good year. Also a suggestion as I have done. On ebay I purchased a set of WRX wheels and tires and replaced the 15 inch with the 16 WRX updated the looks and handling. You can pick up a set of wheels and tires for the the price of new tires alone.

Check the service records and only other thing I switched to full synthetic oil, experienced leaks at 100K problem solved after changing the seals.

monk50 in NC

05 LLbean

95 legacy]