Ultimate Subaru Message Board

right side engine problems

maybe i should have used the word, beat. i dont know if subarus that are well maintained ever get tired, but compression that low is a tired engine.

i know its rare for the bottom end ot og bad, but adding up all the symptons, sounds like its had a rough life.

Good luck.

nipper

He may not have done the comp check with the throttle plate and choke plate open, and all the plugs out.... lots of folks screw that test up. Any one of those would give a false low reading.

Not so rare on the bottom end - the EA engines are 3 main bearing engines while the EJ's have 5. It's actually all too common, but it's usually the main bearings, not the rods that go. Enough swamp water WILL kill them tho. Bad juju.

GD

Now go do a wet test - squirt about 1/2 fluid ounce (about 6 or 7 squirts from your typical pump type oil can) of oil into the cylinder and run the comp check again - if your numbers go up by a lot, then you have ring issues, and if they don't you have valve seat issues. Valves are more common....

For reference one of my EA81's is 160 on all cylinders and the other is 220 :eek:

GD

For reference one of my EA81's is 160 on all cylinders and the other is 220 :eek:

GD

Generally thats not a good thing either, sounds like carbon build up (lots of it) maybe on one cylinder, but if it runs without pinging, enjoy :)

nipper