Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thinking about buying a used legacy wgn today, with few exceptions car looks and feels great and i think its a good deal. one issue though is that it does not have rear head rests. it appears there are tie down points or something where it looks like head rests should go. are there retro fits available for this? were they an option? please let me know this and anything else i should look for in the car (190,000km, 5spd, L version pdl, pwd cruise etc.)

thanks

river rat

thinking about buying a used legacy wgn today, with few exceptions car looks and feels great and i think its a good deal. one issue though is that it does not have rear head rests. it appears there are tie down points or something where it looks like head rests should go. are there retro fits available for this? were they an option? please let me know this and anything else i should look for in the car (190,000km, 5spd, L version pdl, pwd cruise etc.)

thanks

river rat

those tie down lookin dealies MAY fit onto posts under the flip-up rear seat bench.

Are there holes on each side of the tie down lookin dealies? That's where the rests go. Perhaps they are stored away elsewhwere in the car or lost. You might get some outta a junk yard car. Anyway, find out the value of new ones and use that as a bargaining point for a lower price if you decide the car is otherwise what you want. It also might be worth paying a Soob knowledgable mechanic $75 whatver to inspect it, especially the transmission and coolant system - maybe do a compression test.

good luck

Carl

carl,

greetings from the north. the dealies in question are screw mounted with a strap tie slot in it , two screws. no obvious place for a head rest post so i'm thinkin' the mount would need to be changed. did the 97 outback have rear head rests?

about the car i'm buying it from my doctor who has maintained it very well and it appears solid in all ways. he is asking about $3000 us so i think its a good deal.

glenn

carl,

greetings from the north. the dealies in question are screw mounted with a strap tie slot in it , two screws. no obvious place for a head rest post so i'm thinkin' the mount would need to be changed. did the 97 outback have rear head rests?

about the car i'm buying it from my doctor who has maintained it very well and it appears solid in all ways. he is asking about $3000 us so i think its a good deal.

glenn

Hmmm....well, I can only speak to what is on my wife's '03 Outback so probably some changes happened in the intervening years.

Did you lift the bench seet and see where the backs drop onto the posts?

I'm sure someone here will know.

Carl

did the 97 outback have rear head rests?

Yes. The 97 Legacy Outback models do have head rests for the rear seats. I've got the pair of mine stashed away in a closet because I use the wagon as my Surveying rig. Hence the rear seats are always in the down position.

Don't know about the Legacy L models....you might check in the spare tire compartment and see if they have been stashed in there.

did the 97 outback have rear head rests?

Yes. The 97 Legacy Outback models do have head rests for the rear seats. I've got the pair of mine stashed away in a closet because I use the wagon as my Surveying rig. Hence the rear seats are always in the down position.

Don't know about the Legacy L models....you might check in the spare tire compartment and see if they have been stashed in there.

The L models did not come with rear head rests that year. If the rest of the car is solid then you could just swap in some rears out of an outback or LS model to get the rears.

carl,

glenn

I think it was just canadian models because my 1993 legacy wagon doesn't have any either when everyone claims in US that they had them on the L model.

I think it was just canadian models because my 1993 legacy wagon doesn't have any either when everyone claims in US that they had them on the L model.

No, the L did not have them. The LS did, as well as height adjustable drivers seat. The upgrade seat from the 90/91 was the best of them, though. drivers seat was height adjustable, both front headrests adjusted front and back as well as up and down. In addition, the front seats had organiser pockets in the back. This level is what had the rear headrests, from 89-94.

The 95-99 Legacy L did not have the rear headrests (what you see on the top of the rear seatback is the stabiliser for where it meets the posts on the underside of the rear bench. You can swap in the rear seat from an outback of the same year, if you want the rear headrests.