Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, background; 1997 Legacy L sedan with 149,000. I just finished up with timing belt/water pump/hoses/etc. Prior to the work, the car exhibited a severe case of piston slap when cold, matter of fact, it could have been the poster child for the symptom. Since finishing the timing belt job the car has become almost quite on start up, with minimal “slap” noise. I cannot come up with any reason for the change and am baffled by any sort of connection between a timing belt and the issue of piston slap. Now it is not that I am unhappy about the change, but just baffled as to why. Anyone?

Believe me, I am most certain with regards to what "piston slap" sounds like and the various characteristics of “slap”. It is a cold start issue, sounds like a diesel that slowly dissipates as the engine warms up. Have been dealing with it for years. Check out http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/coldEngine.pdf

Now nipper, I didn’t replace the tensioner as it fell within all parameters, oil leakage, rod extension, etc. Now the endwrench article mentions the tensioner, belt and sprockets as potential sources of noises that sound like deep internal knock. I have taken the car to three different dealers over the last several years to get their opinions and all come up with the same issue, piston slap. But, if the symptoms are gone….yippee as it was a rather embarrassing noise and did sound as if the engine was going to come apart.

Lastly, grossgary, this was my first attempt at a timing belt, so I was just pleased when I turned the key and it started. This unintended consequence just makes the satisfaction that much greater.

Sorry... but when i first read the title i though 'oh man, he get someone pregnant... :rolleyes:"

Sorry.. i know others were thinking it too :-p

now now no we werent, anr the other post with 420 in it was referncing oregeno

:rolleyes:

nipper