Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old School NOOB!!!! :-)

Hey guys,

My name is dan and I just decided to buy a 1991 Loyale Sedan in mint condition with 84XXX original miles on it. I fell in love with it when I went to see it today and it's going to be my daily driver.

I have a well modded 2004 WRX and have been a member of NASIOC and CLUBWRX for well over 2 years now. I love all things Subaru, and always have since my aunt and uncle had a 1982 wagon that I remember from when I was 3 years old.

Here is the post that I made about the car on NASIOC...Tell me what you all think. :clap: :

Went to see a 91 Loyale Sedan With 84,8XX original miles on it today. Car was MINT. Light blue, stick, power everything, AC, not much rust at all...only a tiny bit of cancer on the front fender by the mudflap. Drives amazing on and off the highway.

1.8 non turbo front wheel drive

New:

Belts

Fuel Filter

Charcoal Canister

Brand New exhaust and cat.

Brand tires and brakes

New front struts

Newer Clutch

Everything works in the car except for the clock!!!! Interior is mint and back seats have never been sat in.

It belonged to a 102 year old lady who's kids took it away from her and sold it to the guy who owns it now. Here's some pics I took on my phoen that are crappy... I am paying 1400 cash for it.

PIX__28.jpg

PIX__27.jpg

PIX__26.jpg

PIX__25.jpg

PIX__24.jpg

PIX__23.jpg

PIX__22.jpg

PIX__21.jpg

Thanks man...maybe you can tell me what the ticking noise is at 4k rpms when I am driving the car with the A/C on in 90 degree heat (only time I have driven it so I don't know if it does it al the time)

Only happens at 4k and above and it's intermittent...not very loud either....is it possibly the gas or is it something very bad like the Tick of Death???? Is the car gonna crap out on me when I am driving to work on the highway???

Well this definitely only happened with the A/C blasting, hot hot weather, foot on the gas, and 4k rpms...wasnt very loud either....at 84k on the entire car it seems like not a big deal since many people take these motors into the 200k realm.....I guess every car has its quirks...I just get nervous about crap like this.

Actually sounds like it might be pinging a little - AC could just be upping the temp enough to get the ping noticeably loud....

Try adjusting the timing, and maybe take a look at the air filter, plugs, cap and rotor, etc. A good general tune up is in order, and you may consider checking to see if there are any receipts or notes about the timing belts being done - if not it's about 20,000 miles, and 10 years overdue :rolleyes:. 102 yrs old - she may not have done any maintenance since she killed the old man off...... :eek:

GD

Hey..if you want to take a drive next Sat..bring it up here to New Milford CT..I am having a cookout around 1 and 1/we could take a look at it. ( Going to have some very knowledgeable old school people here). I have plenty of extra parts for it...it is sweet.! I love my 92 Loyale FWD..but I have 197,000 miles on it..runs like a champ though. Showed it last weekend at Marcus Dairy with a bunch of WRX people from NASIOC.

Sometimes low mileage is more damaging then high mileage on these motors.Would love to take a look at it....plus I want to drool over it:slobber: :grin:

check out my CT cookout thread in meet and greet

Great purchase. Looks good and that mileage is a hard find...There are many little cheap things to do to get it to be a fun car economically. I got a sedan 5spd 2wd similar that needed tlc cheap and hacked some things.Being your a wrx driver, you may be interested in some stuff I found, while your car has low mileage (mine is double your sedan and still strong) .I made a website after seeing these things drive around endlessly as crap boxes and flapping rusty parts and holes with minimal problems for years....all at 30+mpg.

oh... the egr took out the clock. You may lose some heater switches next and oem radio is in trouble (you'll slowly find just how hot that engine's top end gets soon enough...) . I noticed the intake boot has the heat sag.Not to be pessimistic, I would enthusiastically love to attack your car! :grin: I have not found a 2wd yet that hasn't had the probs I found (and keep going anyway)

http://93loyale.50megs.com

aww look my gl has i little cousin. damn nice car. i have an 88 gl same color same wheels mine are black though. same center caps. as for the sound w/ac on i am going to say pinging cause mine does the same when i use the ac and low octane. but i also have 312,xxx miles on her. I run 89 octane or higher and the pinging all but goes away. a little lucas fuel system treatment worked wonders for me. good luck with the new soob.:cool:

Hey..if you want to take a drive next Sat..bring it up here to New Milford CT..I am having a cookout around 1 and 1/we could take a look at it. ( Going to have some very knowledgeable old school people here). I have plenty of extra parts for it...it is sweet.! I love my 92 Loyale FWD..but I have 197,000 miles on it..runs like a champ though. Showed it last weekend at Marcus Dairy with a bunch of WRX people from NASIOC.

Sometimes low mileage is more damaging then high mileage on these motors.Would love to take a look at it....plus I want to drool over it:slobber: :grin:

check out my CT cookout thread in meet and greet

Oh man you guys sound like greeat people. Unfortunately we are going away saturday through Tuesday BUT if I buy it maybe we could meet up...

I am now caught between a rock and a hard place with this caar....

Unfortunately there is another car in the picture now.....

It's a 93 awd Legacy LS automatic with 156k...significantly more miles but sounds like it might be more reliable than a loyale...it's been extremely well maintained so I am sure it's got tond of time left....

If you were me and had to drive this car to the bronx everyday, what would you feel better driving down there??? Loyale or legacy?

hey Dan,

welcome to the club!

the legacy would be more comfy and better in the snow in my opinion, but the loyale would probly be better on gas, and equally reliable, plus its soooo mint.

either way, you are only like an hour away, and in a u-pull-it yard 5 mins from my house, there is a complete loyale sedan there with come accessories that may interest you. it has a full set of oem mudflaps, trunk luggage rack, full set of loyale hubcaps, a/c, ect, ect. in the same yard there is a 92 legacy that is also complete.

how do the cars compare in price? which one is cheaper?

if you are ever in walden, and see this car, don`t be afraid to stop in!:

cowlindo006.jpg

walden???? My fam is originally from Monitcello.....

The cars are the same price lol

84k miles and change on the loyale and 156k on the legacy.

Loyale is mint with some rust but not much, and the legacy as some rust as well. Legacy is an auto and has more options, Loyale is a manual with most of the same options except cruise control and no am/fm radio. That's cool about the parts car....might be worth grabbing some parts off of....I just am not really going for a cool factor here even though the loyale is much cooler, I have to keep my eye on the prize and get the more reliable vehicle.

NICE WHITE SUBY BTW!!!!!!

A FWD Loyale 5 spd gets fantastic gas mileage..I get 34-38 city and 42+ highway with my wagon. As for reliable...I have never owned a better car then my current 92 Loyale wagon with 197,000 miles..I bought him 3 years ago for $600 and he has NEVER let me sit..had his quirkie moments but they all do.

As for winter driving..I run snow treads on the front and have never been stuck or had any problems.

I dont know much about the Legacys except that the 2.5 have head issues and at older AT are prone to failure..but thats not from personal experience just what I have heard.

Good luck with either choice.Both have thier ups and downs its what suits you better.

Thanks bucky.....yeah all that I am concerned about is driving on the highway with it....if you say it's good and I am getting a good deal though...i think I should just stick with my original decision and buy the Loyale. It really sounds like even if this thing was beat on, which it was not at all, it would still run fine.....I odnt care if a couple of random things dont work like the clock,,,i just need the car itself to run and be reliable.

PS - the dude that bought the car form this old lady put literally like 600-900 bucks worth of stuff into it just because he wanted to make sure it would run perfectly....kind of reasssuring.

get the loyale.. as for "cool" its one of the bluntest, oddest looking cars i have ever seen.. but in time i have come to love it for its ugliness. and im sorry, but sharp rectangles, 90 degree angles and trapezoids abound in the shapes of this car... NOT exactly sexy. "Handsome," yes, but not sexy..

my point was, in MY eyes, the newer legacy would have a slightly LESS LOW (higher isnt the right term) "cool factor"... but the loyale would prove to be the more reliable car in the long run. how many loyale/GL/GL-10s are still on the road? and how many legacies? DESPITE the age difference? if the rust on the loyale isnt bad, go for it. besides, its a five speed. do you REALLY want to feed all that fuel to a torque converter thats just going to run a transmission with fewer gears? i dont know anything about the jeggy tranny, but its gotta be a four speed at best.. is it one of those overdrive trannies that has the differing shift point? or is it a simple 3 or 4 speed auto gearbox? because no four banger deserves to be coupled to a three speed. ESPECIALLY not an EA82... (sorry im looking for a manual trans to swap in in south florida, and when you are so isolated from the rest of the country this whole "community" thing kinda dries up...:( :( )

I am not buying this car...I found a couple of AWD legacys that I would rather have....It would not do well going to the bronx every day. I am though going to recommend this if anyone is looking for a PRISTINE loyale in the tri state area

Look at the pics - it's a great car...

The guy's name is Mike and he lives near Waterbury CT...Only wants 1500 for the car...It's FWD with power EVERYTHING except a sunrooof....860-274-9452 is his number....He's a great guy and I would love to see the car go to someone who will take careof it since I cant buy iit. Just don't lowball him if you want it because he's an honest good guyand the car is good as well.