Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air conditioning performance - '05 Legacy

My girlfriend is complaining that her '05 Legacy wagon doesn't make very cold air when compared to my '04 Honda CR-V. Unfortunately, the warranty just expired, or she would take it to the dealer and have them determine if it's working okay or not. Is there a procedure for checking the performance? My old Saturn had one that involved running it for several minutes at 2000 RPM with the recirc switch on, and measuring the temperature at the air vent. Does anyone know what the procedure is for a Legacy?

i never really noticed that it wasnt cold enough, until this recent heatwave in the NE. normally i will drive w/ the A/C on all the time because i am a "sweat-er". i like it so cold in the car my glasses fog up when i get out. HAHA. could it possibly be that the performance of the AC is just compromised and cant keep up with the stifiling temps we are experiencing? what color is your legacy? if it is black or Royal blue, those are darker and consequently could be making the cabin substantially hotter.

Not all cars are created equal when it comes to A/C. Well you might want to check the system with an A/C manifold gauge to make sure the pressures are good. Harbor Freight as one on sale now. Also running 'max A/C' over the long run will typically result in cooler flow b/c system recycles air from inside cabin instead of cooling 100% humid warm outside air. timpappas i hear you dude on the A/c on all the time man! I have it on 4 recycle all the time except winter! :cool:

Anywho, there is a test procedure (at least for my '96 Legacy), involving such things as parking vehicle in shade, open all windows (with doors closed), connect manifold gauge to service valves, set for A/C max, run engine 1.5k rpm, after 10 minutes measure pressures (suction&discharge), measure temp @ inlet to blowr and oulet at dash vents, measure ambient temp&humidity near condensor, then compare results with some chart to see if it's all good. :clap:

Air conditioning is limited to about a forty degree difference between ambient temp and vent temps. After your car is parked out in the direct sun for a awhile it is probably 120+ degrees in the car and on the pavement. For a while your AC will do all it can to blow 80 degrees or so out of the vents. As it cools the car the vent temps will drop.

Make sure the condenser and evaporator coils are clean and then check the pressures compared to the ambient air temp. If you do not understand a temperature-pressure chart let someone else do this.

If you want to learn ac, read about subcool, superheat, sensible heat and latent heat. Read about the difference between a system with an orifice and a system with an expansion valve. When you can understand where the refrigerant is and what it is doing you can fix an ac.

I get to drive just about every model new car currently available in the U.S. (no exotics:( ), and the current Subarus have probably the weakest air conditioners. It is NOT your imagination. It feels the same as when one of my Celicas of years past was a little low on freon.

In the Subarus, does it blow cool for awhile, then blow not-so-cold, then cool again? Every Subaru I've driven performs that way, regardless of model..OB, Leg, Forester, Impreza, 9-2. The smaller platforms (Forester, Imp, 9-2) are marginally better, but not by much.

OTOH, and despite the weak air con, the Subarus are far and away the best car in the snow and ice.

Just my 2 bucks

Make sure she doesn't have papers, a dash mat, stuffed animals, etc. blocking the photo sensor on the dash.

Get window tinting - the car will still be hot after sitting in the sun, but will cool faster and stay cooler.

Carl

How does the photo sensor work exactly, is that where the HVAC system is on 'auto' and it chooses which vents to use?

I get to drive just about every model new car currently available in the U.S. (no exotics:( ), and the current Subarus have probably the weakest air conditioners. It is NOT your imagination. It feels the same as when one of my Celicas of years past was a little low on freon.

In the Subarus, does it blow cool for awhile, then blow not-so-cold, then cool again? Every Subaru I've driven performs that way, regardless of model..OB, Leg, Forester, Impreza, 9-2. The smaller platforms (Forester, Imp, 9-2) are marginally better, but not by much.

OTOH, and despite the weak air con, the Subarus are far and away the best car in the snow and ice.

Just my 2 bucks

It's a small world. I just took my 06 Forester to the dealer for the same problem. Car AC blows cold, then not so cold, then cold again. You can actually feel the temperature change if you put your hand by the vent. Anyway, the dealer did a very thorough check, and then the reported the car as being "normal". Bottom line, the Subaru AC unit is never going to win any awards, but it does keep me cool enough here in South Carolina summertime. The unit just barely keeps my car cool enough, but the AC in my 1999 Forester went 200,000 miles without a problem, so that's a plus.

How does the photo sensor work exactly, is that where the HVAC system is on 'auto' and it chooses which vents to use?

It's another way the 'system' is controlled to cycle more frequently for solar loading. That is, if its 90 degrees at night, the system may not need to cycle the comp. as often as 90 degrees at noon - cause that's like sitting in a greenhouse.

I THINK there is a mod for the cabin temp sensor on some Foresters floating around the net somewhere to improve A/C operation.

Carl

Just my 2 bucks

Funny you should mention the temperature fluctuations, we have noticed that. My Honda's compressor cycles on and off, but the temperature changes aren't as noticeable. Sounds like it is working normally then. It stays cool, but she and I agree that the air coming out of other new cars seems colder. Thanks to all for the replies.

Funny you should mention the temperature fluctuations, we have noticed that. My Honda's compressor cycles on and off, but the temperature changes aren't as noticeable. Sounds like it is working normally then. It stays cool, but she and I agree that the air coming out of other new cars seems colder. Thanks to all for the replies.

If you ever notice that it always gets warmer at a stop light or parked, but is always OK when moving, that is diagnostic for the secondary raditor fan in most cases.

Carl