Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been looking on ebay for performance chips and intakes to add some pep to my 97 legacy wagon 2.2 auto. Has anybody tried any of these products or can suggest any products to improve my 2.2's performance. I'm not looking to do any major mods. I do know that next time I will buy a stick. Any help will be appreciated.

I've been looking on ebay for performance chips and intakes to add some pep to my 97 legacy wagon 2.2 auto. Has anybody tried any of these products or can suggest any products to improve my 2.2's performance. I'm not looking to do any major mods. I do know that next time I will buy a stick. Any help will be appreciated.

there are no performance chips for non turbo subarus. All the so called chips are just ways to make sensors lie to the ecu, and can burn up your catalytic converter or worse.

nipper

Start with the basics. Plugs, wires, air filter. After that, you could go to an intake mod (ie replace the main intake box with a smooth pipe).

• 9 months later...

Exactly. It's just a resister and it doesn't even do anything for you. Why else would it be so damn cheap? Plus, I wouldn't recommend the air intake"mod".

It's very controversial and IMO it will do more bad than good. For instance, it doesn't filter as well as the stock air filter box which is why it gets better airflow and if not maintained well enough and correctly it will cause even less performance. Plus, if you buy a short ram intake, you'll just be sucking in hot air from the engine bay instead of(I believe)cool air from the fender, outside the engine bay.

A cold air intake I don't think will really benefit because I'm pretty sure the air from the fender is pretty cool already, so it's a huge waste of money. Plus then you have the "K&N" style filter that is very overrated. I know a guy who used to race funny cars and all sorts of track racing and he is also an ASE certified technician and he told me all about how you won't benefit from have the filter pointing out a hole in your bumper to "ram" it into the engine unless you're going 200mph. He also said that instead, you'd probably want it sucking air from where the bottom of your windshield meets the hood. This air will be dead because the air will flow right over your car and create a pocket of dead air right at the bottom of the windshield where it will be easy for the engine to suck it up.

I would suggest a full exhaust with headers that flows better than stock. This can be pretty spendy though. I think your best power increase for the money is to just buy a turbo 2.2. Good luck!

actually... i believe zapar got his OBS (non-turbo mind you) chipped from rallitek. i think he said he got alot more power... and alot better gas milage :-p

link? and if it was under 200 bucks i wojuld doubt it is a real chip :). If it doesnt go inside the ecu its not a chip.

nipper

link? and if it was under 200 bucks i wojuld doubt it is a real chip :). If it doesnt go inside the ecu its not a chip.

nipper

oh ok, maybe he didn 'chip' it, but i believe he got upgraded fuel maps.

man.. that was like.. 2 years ago i remember reading about that... i'll hit up the search :cool:

oh ok, maybe he didn 'chip' it, but i believe he got upgraded fuel maps.

man.. that was like.. 2 years ago i remember reading about that... i'll hit up the search :cool:

My your chipper for a weeknight :grin:

nipper

My your chipper for a weeknight :grin:

nipper

hah.. sort of... drove 300 miles thismorning, split between 3 different cars... put a drive shaft in one, in order to get it back to my car in order to get home... signed my soul away to my new apartment, and i just got back from spending 4 hours under the ol' OBS ripping the back of the tranny out.. maybe i should sleep one of these days...

but yeah, i believe you can get a setup similar to what i have w/ the OBXT, you just plug it into the OBDII port, and you can upload new fuel maps. i think it works better if you have a turbo though ;)

but yeah, i believe you can get a setup similar to what i have w/ the OBXT, you just plug it into the OBDII port, and you can upload new fuel maps. i think it works better if you have a turbo though ;)

Everything goes faster with a turbo :)

nipper