Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wacked out Speedometer

YO,

First I'd like to say thanx to all of you who helped me get my car running again! You are awesome!:headbang:

Ok, so this is something I've never seen before. As soon as I start rolling my speedometer rolls over and pegs out. Have you ever seen a car do 135mph in first gear!:brow: Just kidding. Then just before I come to a stop, it finally winds back down to zero. I just replaced the speedometer cable, which was leaking oil from the gauge clulster end of the cable, and this had no effect. If I move very slow, about 5mph, the speedometer will sit about 75mph.

Any Ideas?

Thanx

Phill

Just did one that yes it hit 125 in 1st gear. You have to remove the dash pod then disassemble to remove the speedo then disassemble the speedo to clean out the gunk that has built up over the years. Then you need to LIGHTLY oil the shafts as you reassemble. I used graphite oil and have done several and it solves the slow response also.

Basically there is a seal on the transmission end that prevents the cable from acting like an archimedes screw and sucking oil up into the head unit. Once the seal fails and the oil has contaminated the speedo head, it's pretty much fatal. The guage cluster has to be removed, and either replaced or the speedo completely dissasembled and cleaned... and some who have done the cleaning report that it doesn't help. Something inside the speedo doesn't like gear oil..... :dead:

Sorry - not what you wanted to hear I'm sure, but with you finding oil on the speedo end, that's pretty conclusive. And the really high reading is always the result of oil contamination.

GD

the way the spedo works.. a cable from the tranny goes into the head. The head consists of the odometer and a spinning magnet. the magnet sits inside a bell shaped drum. The faster the magnet spins, the higher the needle goes. There is a clock spring that adds resistance so that the needle doesnt flop over.

Sounds like your spring is busted, or you have a lot of junl in that drum. Either way the cluster has to come out, if the spring is broken you cant fix it, a spedo shop has to, so just get another unit.

nipper