Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel injector cleaner, recommended?

Wondering if there are any fuel injector cleaner additives recommended

for Subies. Not noticing any performance issues at 36,000 mi. on my

'00 Forester, but would like to avoid problems. I always thought

additives can do more harm than good, but I often hear 'click & clack'

on NPR recommending them.

Opinions? Recommendations?

Not sure what, if anything Subaru recommends. I've had excellent results with RedLine SI-1. Good results with Fuel Power FP60. OK results with Lucas UCL. I hear a lot of people like Techron. I think GM did some study that showed not many gasolines have enough quality cleaners in them to prevent deposits from building up. I would generally avoid anything that has a lot of methanol in it.

Not sure what, if anything Subaru recommends. I've had excellent results with RedLine SI-1. Good results with Fuel Power FP60. OK results with Lucas UCL. I hear a lot of people like Techron. I think GM did some study that showed not many gasolines have enough quality cleaners in them to prevent deposits from building up. I would generally avoid anything that has a lot of methanol in it.

I run a fuel additive cleaner through my '99 Forester every four months, moreover, fuelwise it runs pretty smooth, and I don't think the additive ( high quality ) would do any harm.

John

Seafoam all the way, that stuff is great! :headbang:

Seafoam is great stuff, but running a can of Techron every month or so does a lot to keep things flowing smoothly ... at your friendly Standard Oil station ... which we don't have in western Montana. I grab a couple cans whenever we go to WA.

Which is this weekend, come to think of it, by way of three days in Vancouver, BC.

Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner (not fuel injector cleaner) is about the best pour-it-in-the-tank cleaner in my experience. Of course, even that is nothing compared to running OTC cleaner directly through the fuel rail, but you have to have a shop do that for you and can be $$.