Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How long till I change my timing belt?

Hey guys, I have a 97' Impreza with 78.5k miles and the timing belt has never been changed... I have heard some owners change belts at around 80k, however do to the nature of my car being about 10 years old I'm wondering if I should be nervous and change my belt asap, any recommendations?

Don't know about your '97, but for my '93, the interval is 60k miles. 60k is a bit low; 80k is more reasonable. I believe at some point the interval changed to 105k miles, but I'm not sure when. Personally, I'd go ahead and change it. It can't hurt, and as your engine is of interference design, you're better safe than sorry. While you're in there, you'll wanna replace the cam & crank seals, as well as reseal the oil pump. Some also suggest replacing the waterpump, but that really depends on who you ask. It's probably still ok 78.5k, but Subies don't like overheats. I say every other t-belt change.

Yeah, on the cars 97 and newer, Timing Belt change is very important. Every 60k is about right. You could probably make it to 100k with no problems, but after that, every mile you drive is a lucky one. Remember, if you break a timing belt on the 97 and newer cars, be prepared because you may need some upper engine work (ie, new valves because you may have just bent a few).

Thanks,

Yeah I figured it would be due for a new belt around now, just making sure. So replacing the cam & crank seals and resealing the oil pump would be considered normal when talking about a 10 year old car with almost 80k miles on it?

I'm assuming the theory being some parts will wear down on a similar timescale, is there be anything else I should be concerned with replacing?

All I know is that everyone says 60K and I'd go by that. Although the timing belt in my 90 legacy 2.2 had 120 when I got it and I had it for one day and went to pass someone and it snapped as I was in the process of passing a big truck with a horse trailer and a car in front of him.

It was dark and had no cell phone and we had to walk(not very far thank God)and use a calling card that I so happened to have and wait in the cold for my step dad to bring his trailer out. Pushed the car a quarter mile or so down the road to the trailer. Basically it sucked and I would think you wouldn't want to experience something like that, especially if you had to pay to get it towed $$$.

97 and up the 2.2 is an interference engine so you want a new belt in there. install new belts, water pump and oil pump seals. inspect or replace the cam seals as well. and be prepared to replace any tensioner pulleys that are noisey or loose as well. that's annoying as you don't know until you get in there and they are expensive. water pump and the tensioner pulleys can cause the timing belt to fail if they have issues. i'd rather replace than expect them to make it to 150,000 miles.

when the interval says x # of miles, that is based on 12,000 miles a year. SO if the interval is 60,000 miles thats 5 years. You have to remeber that these things are by milegae or month, whichever comes first.

nipper

Will an EJ22 run at all if the timing belt is off by even one tooth? Mine is sounding a little "rough" after timing belt change, and engine check light came on and engine stalled after about a minute into first start-up.

Disconnected and reconnected battery, started again and no ECL this time but still rough. Changed plugs with timing belt so that could be an issue, maybe have to get codes checked. Any WOW -words of wisdom?:confused:

Will an EJ22 run at all if the timing belt is off by even one tooth? Mine is sounding a little "rough" after timing belt change, and engine check light came on and engine stalled after about a minute into first start-up.

Disconnected and reconnected battery, started again and no ECL this time but still rough. Changed plugs with timing belt so that could be an issue, maybe have to get codes checked. Any WOW -words of wisdom?:confused:

If it ran fine before you did "X" then afterwards doesnt, go back and double check the work. Yes you can be off by one tooth and run oddly.

nipper

If it ran fine before you did "X" then afterwards doesnt, go back and double check the work. Yes you can be off by one tooth and run oddly.

nipper

YEP-- It wouldn't be right if I didn't have to do it twice. I'm becoming quite fond of getting into the front of these EJ22's...it is relatively quick and easy after alot of the shade tree mechanic projects I've done...at least I have a big shady tree. :headbang: