Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Forester L

OK So I just replaced the front pads and rotors on my vehicle due to a hard shuddering while braking(thats what i get for letting it sit out all winter). Now when I apply the brakes normally, I can feel a slight pulsing in the brake pedals and can hear it as well and it sounds to me that it is front passenger side. This is the same side that had the bad vibration coming from before the brake service. The steering wheel has little to no vibration to it. However if I brake hard, there is hardly anything to be felt in the pedal or the steering wheel and nothing is heard from the front right.

A mechanic friend said it might be the rear pads and/or rotors need replacing(that conclusion by not feeling that much in the wheel) or that it might be a ball joint going out(the sound and previous history).

So I get underneath the front to have a look-see at things and the lower ball joint looked fine to me. Now is there an upper ball joint I should be looking for? I cant seem to find it. My brothers Jeep has one apparently so I figure I must too. Now I've done engine swaps, suspension work, brakes, steering racks, but I cant for the life of me find the upper ball joint. :confused:

Any help would be appreciated guys.

-John

There's not one on the Legacy so you probably dont have one on the Forester.

1999 Forester L

OK So I just replaced the front pads and rotors on my vehicle due to a hard shuddering while braking(thats what i get for letting it sit out all winter). Now when I apply the brakes normally, I can feel a slight pulsing in the brake pedals and can hear it as well and it sounds to me that it is front passenger side. This is the same side that had the bad vibration coming from before the brake service. The steering wheel has little to no vibration to it. However if I brake hard, there is hardly anything to be felt in the pedal or the steering wheel and nothing is heard from the front right.

A mechanic friend said it might be the rear pads and/or rotors need replacing(that conclusion by not feeling that much in the wheel) or that it might be a ball joint going out(the sound and previous history).

So I get underneath the front to have a look-see at things and the lower ball joint looked fine to me. Now is there an upper ball joint I should be looking for? I cant seem to find it. My brothers Jeep has one apparently so I figure I must too. Now I've done engine swaps, suspension work, brakes, steering racks, but I cant for the life of me find the upper ball joint. :confused:

Any help would be appreciated guys.

-John

no upper balljoints, and ball joints cause the car to wander.

1- Check the torque of the lugnuts, over tighten them and you can warp the rotors

2- are you sure the new rotors were flat

3- inspect and rotate the tires, look for cupping or broken belts

6- check your cv joints

7- inspect wheel bearings

nipper

My thoughts exactly. After you try Nipper's tire rotation suggestion, and if there is no change, if unsure, switch pads and rotors from one side to the other and if the vibration follows, either the new brakes/rotors weren't bed properly or possible manufacturer defect. I know it takes time but this diagnostic test is cheap enough.

Did you break the new rotors and pads in correctly?

I had a fairly bad breaking vibration and slight pulse in my front end (i knew what it was, broken belts in the sidewalls). Since the tores only have 3000 miles on them i was hoping a tire rotation would take care of it.

It did.

nipper

The problem probably isn't warped rotors. Stock Subaru pads use an organic binder that cooks onto the rotors after a hard stop to a standstill. I went through several cycles of resurfacing rotors, only to have the pulsation return. The solution was aftermarket performance (not OEM replacement) pads - I used Hawk HPS. The cost is about what Subaru charges for OEM, but no pulsation and a firmer pedal to boot.

my 95 leg had bad / turned rear rotors( i know because i swaped them off of my 97obw when i bought it. i had just put all new brakes on the rear of the 95 when the trans went bad.)

the symtoms were: light braking = pulsation. heavy braking = no pulsation (a little at the beginning but as the front took over the braking job there was none.) i tried the hand brake thing to check the rear rotors, but the hand brake is drum the brake pedal is disc. i never got any feedback. but i knew the rears were bad, i had swapped them onto the car.

so i replaced them. hope this helps.

If you don't feel it in the steering wheel it could be rear drums too. Try slowing with the emergency brake and see if you feel a pulsation.

The Forester should have rear drums and my 99 forester L had bad drums when I bought it. I could clearly feel the pulsation by applying the hand brake and new drums has cured it.

If you had rear discs I'm not sure if you could feel it though the emergency brake.

OK so I was pulling into my driveway turning left at a slow rate of speed and when my left tire with the transition between the 2 types of cement, it created a loud sharp bang. It sounded like metal on metal. I have a feeling that this is related to my previous problem with the brakes. Any ideas?