Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, it's been a really busy past two weeks for me and my 1990 Legacy L. Developed a massive brake leak from a nonfunctioning rear caliper so I installed two new rear calipers, rear rotors, and pads all the way around. Then, the daggone balljoint was found to be the source of my clunking/vibration that I was thinking was a U-Joint so that had to be fixed as well. THEN (lol), while replacing the balljoint, I found that the outer CV boot on the same side had been ripped all the way around so now I get to put a new axle in this weekend (it's been ticking since I got the car, now it's really complaining quite a bit).

My question for you guys is regarding an oil leak I have. Sometimes it'll go through a quart of oil between my house and school (1.5 hr drive each way), sometimes it won't go through anything. I was curious as to some simple suggestions for a starting point on figuring this one out.

What gaskets should I try and replace or at least check on?

I think I may be burning oil as the tailpipe on the muffler has a bit of black soot all the way around it - there is no soot on the body of the car in that location though. Where do I start on this one?

Thanks in advance guys!

Side-story: Changed the transmission fluid last week and my mileage has had a very noticeable increase. Don't think the ATF had ever been changed and where I was getting around 20 - 22 MPG, I'm now getting closer to 25-27MPG on the interstate. May also be the new tires as Sam's Club installed a 185/70/r14 on one side and a 185/65/r14 on the other. That was the cause of my leftward pull...thanks, Sam's.

Interesting info thanks! Regarding the oil leak, have you place cardboard or something under it see if it is leaking and if so roughly from where? Sometimes people clean the engine compartment good so that they can see roughly where a leak is coming from. There are many areas (if it is leaking and not burning) that it could be coming from including cam seals, front crank seal, valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, etc., do you see any oilyness in the coolant? PCV valve in good shape?

I'm assuming your vehicle is awd. All tires should(must!) be the same circumference. That is definitely not good that there were different size tires on there. That causes a lot of heat in the AT center and would reduce mileage I would imagine. Changing the ATF was definitely a good idea after that kind of scenario.

OK, it's been a really busy past two weeks for me and my 1990 Legacy L. Developed a massive brake leak from a nonfunctioning rear caliper so I installed two new rear calipers, rear rotors, and pads all the way around. Then, the daggone balljoint was found to be the source of my clunking/vibration that I was thinking was a U-Joint so that had to be fixed as well. THEN (lol), while replacing the balljoint, I found that the outer CV boot on the same side had been ripped all the way around so now I get to put a new axle in this weekend (it's been ticking since I got the car, now it's really complaining quite a bit).

My question for you guys is regarding an oil leak I have. Sometimes it'll go through a quart of oil between my house and school (1.5 hr drive each way), sometimes it won't go through anything. I was curious as to some simple suggestions for a starting point on figuring this one out.

What gaskets should I try and replace or at least check on?

I think I may be burning oil as the tailpipe on the muffler has a bit of black soot all the way around it - there is no soot on the body of the car in that location though. Where do I start on this one?

Thanks in advance guys!

Side-story: Changed the transmission fluid last week and my mileage has had a very noticeable increase. Don't think the ATF had ever been changed and where I was getting around 20 - 22 MPG, I'm now getting closer to 25-27MPG on the interstate. May also be the new tires as Sam's Club installed a 185/70/r14 on one side and a 185/65/r14 on the other. That was the cause of my leftward pull...thanks, Sam's.

i take it you got the tire problem corrected?? this will kill a awd trans.

I will have to get a large piece of cardboard from work and let it sit under the car overnight this week. Thanks for the idea!

As far as figuring out visually where the oil's coming from, it's impossible. Oil is literally on almost every surface under the engine. The subframe, the exhaust, the suspension. It's quite unnerving.

I will check the PCV valve as soon as I figure out where it is :P...and don't worry, I'll search the boards for more information regarding that one.

Also, yes, I rectified the tire situation. Found an awesome tire place in Ronceverte, WV that I definitely will be going back to. No more Sam's or K&G's for me!

I will have to get a large piece of cardboard from work and let it sit under the car overnight this week. Thanks for the idea!

As far as figuring out visually where the oil's coming from, it's impossible. Oil is literally on almost every surface under the engine. The subframe, the exhaust, the suspension. It's quite unnerving.

I will check the PCV valve as soon as I figure out where it is :P...and don't worry, I'll search the boards for more information regarding that one.

Also, yes, I rectified the tire situation. Found an awesome tire place in Ronceverte, WV that I definitely will be going back to. No more Sam's or K&G's for me!

When the o-ring on my oil pump went bad there was a trail of oil while driving and almost no leaking when stopped. Replaced the o-ring, resealed with grey sealer and all fixed up. There are elaborate threads devoted to this subject.