Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My car has an unfriendly tenant

I DO agree with this, but I say if they are in "your" space....

SQUISH 'EM!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang::dead: (sorry all you spider-lovers)

I agree too. In general, I don't bother animals if they don't bother me. But I draw my line at giant spiders inside the car (never had that actually), bees that build nests right next to doors that I open every day, or mice that run over my face at night when I'm in bed.

I agree too. In general, I don't bother animals if they don't bother me. But I draw my line at giant spiders inside the car (never had that actually), bees that build nests right next to doors that I open every day, or mice that run over my face at night when I'm in bed.
I hate to kill anything, but the mice around here carry off my traps eat the food and return the traps unsprung.:eek: If i get one in my sights im going to blast them with my new reproduction 1851 navy .44 colt black powder. I did get the one that was getting in the sube but i have them in my house to. Dont help that we have horeses, chickens and emus. Draws them in.:D (No they are not in the house)!

we had a pet onvce.he just hung out in the corner.we fed him whatever came along and he got bigger and bigger ,until one day he was just gone.it lasted ofr about 3 months.cool and creepy at the same time.it is nice to commune with a creature that you usually find despicable.hard,but nice.

Ever get a look at a Cane Spider? They are large and run fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Huntsman_spider_white_bg03.jpg

Kevin

That is a very possible candidate. I had mentioned rare critters coming from the south at hurricane season - including crazy colored little birds all the way into december (in the warm storms- like the tornado in oz coming through :confused: ). I have guessed from the wikipedia article, it is a female, thought my car was a male due to a vibration they respond to for mating.Maybe thought my car was the toughest biggest male spider in the world, the way it vibrates :lol: . It also stated that the cars are a favorite hideout and they aren't poisonous. Also, I drove down to southern new jersey, early spring and it could very well have hitched a ride on my stops someplace. Interesting critter, I have never seen one, and at the pace it is growing :) . It does like warmth as well, like article wrote, its been hiding in the cold.

If you ask me you are lucky to have just a little spider. Today i went to replace my u-joint and fount a 3 foot black snake, and it has been in the under works of my car for atleast a week. It has shed its skin twice, one above the muffler heat sheild, another in the support pipe. I would say i have hauled it around atleast 500 miles so far.:cool: But i dont have to worry about pesky mice.:grin:

WOW i like the black snake. see, i would actually take the discovery of a three foot black snake in my car rather well. I had a terrifying encounter with a six foot black snake that crawled into my living room from a cabinet speaker it had curled up in.. the speaker sat on the patio as we were moving in for a day or two.. and then came into the living room. i was going to sleep that night on the couch, and suddenly that big black TV cable started moving (i was six..)

but that black snake became our friend (100 yr old wood farmhouse) and like you said, no mice :- ) so i am kind of superstitious in a good way about black snakes.. but to hell with the spiders. kill em all. i know we would all die from a cloud of insects but i dont care. im sorry, im not afraid of very much, and i hate almost nothing... but spiders are on both lists, and theres nothing else in the world i can say that of. i scream like a little girl at them, no lie.

Not to babble on about a spider and a subaru's relevance for this forum, here is a site where I am posting photos and description if your interested in keeping track like I am(I have never seen one- let alone the place it lives and drives in my car happily) The latest is day 13:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bgd73/sets/72157594256262816/

that's pretty cool. when i was younger, maybe 12 or so, we had a spider like that on our front porch every night. made a web from the ground to the hanging plants on the edge of the roof. my mom didn't know about it... and when i was coming from my friends house late at night and the front porch light was on, you could see it and there were hundreds of insects on the wall of our house. I'd pick out the biggest one and throw it in the web. that spider got pretty darn big, until my mom found it during the day hiding in one of the hanging plants when she watered it. she killed it of course.

My dad and I hauled international containers from new jersey to wherever they go in his rig, and that is the first time I saw a "banana spider" and even some of the big ships hung onto foriegn colorful birds.A thought I had a long time ago about foriegn cars on thier journeys of distribution is what they may collect in some of thier nooks and crannies. (I even got to see the very style sube I'm in, in what appeared to be the thousands all in a giant parking lot.) given my encounter may not be a rare spider, but it brought my question about again. I have recently got closeups (you can see at the above flickr address) and am posting for a true identification. The "huntsman" is not from maine and its markings are clearly identifying it as one. if it is from the south, I am counting on a good wallop from an east coast hurricane anytime.....:confused:

as far as I can see those spiders live in abundance here, and since I don't know the english word for them, here's the latin name: "Araneus diadematus", you'll be able to find pic's and descriptions using that name.

as far as killing them, well, I don't particulary like them, but killing is a bit harsh, I usually sweep them out of the way or work around em.

edit: check out this link, http://www.ivory.org/spiders/araneus.diadematus.html

as far as I can see those spiders live in abundance here, and since I don't know the english word for them, here's the latin name: "Araneus diadematus", you'll be able to find pic's and descriptions using that name.

as far as killing them, well, I don't particulary like them, but killing is a bit harsh, I usually sweep them out of the way or work around em.

edit: check out this link, http://www.ivory.org/spiders/araneus.diadematus.html

I was guided to this already, thank you. I even posted a disagreement in another forum (bug identifiers). I found one almost like it spotted in ontario a year ago posted on the web, and the identifiers also put in in the "cross spider" section, I disagreed again due to the many differences- The picture taker was also surprised as I am with "I have never seen such a large spider in the wild". mine is much lighter in color, bigger and body slightly different. Ironically the very class of this spider (cross spider) has a female not far from my car to compare it too. Upon fact finding the male is smaller - I thought the female I found, also labeled a cross spider was the male, as it is much smaller than what is living in my car and it isn't. I wonder what size the male is... I bet she killed him. After reading of symptoms of its bite I was startled to realize a strangely bad day at work after grabbing my tools out of the trunk (the rear bumper is this big mamas home). dizziness to the point of falling down, and heart gurgles I thought was heartburn.and a rash that wouldn't quit- not even diagnosed "poison ivy". They bite if nest is egged, and they are very freakin fast. So for now it is a very large unusual "cross spider". I still think I picked it up somewhere other than local. I may keep it in a jar as my first and possibly the strangest living critter of my old de-pigged sube.

kill that sob and be done with it. :mad:

once it starts biting people, its time for it to die. :rolleyes:

incase you can`t tell, i hate spiders;) and bees and beetles and worms and grass hoppers and flys

I am still searching for an identity. An intriguing site that classifies them in australia, is still finding variants even now, today. I hope an unbiased pro gets it accurate... it would be interesting to have a different breed of spider never documented. maybe its a "Subaru Huntsman Spider" or "Maine Huntsman" or "Bumper huntsman". Another fact trying to be scientific, is it is in with "cane spider" appearance. I absolutely love coffee (cream and extra sugar/sugar) and my passenger side floor takes a few days to have alot of empty cups. something intrigued this critter to the sound and speed of my travelling car- I even assumed a bassy thumping ship, similar to a thumpy low rpm sube. This spider is by no means in its local habitat of origin, like a subaru.:rolleyes:

WOW i like the black snake. see, i would actually take the discovery of a three foot black snake in my car rather well. I had a terrifying encounter with a six foot black snake that crawled into my living room from a cabinet speaker it had curled up in.. the speaker sat on the patio as we were moving in for a day or two.. and then came into the living room. i was going to sleep that night on the couch, and suddenly that big black TV cable started moving (i was six..)

but that black snake became our friend (100 yr old wood farmhouse) and like you said, no mice :- ) so i am kind of superstitious in a good way about black snakes.. but to hell with the spiders. kill em all. i know we would all die from a cloud of insects but i dont care. im sorry, im not afraid of very much, and i hate almost nothing... but spiders are on both lists, and theres nothing else in the world i can say that of. i scream like a little girl at them, no lie.

I like Black snakes too, but around here there is a snake that looks like a black snake and that is a black racer. at a glance they are identical but the racer is more poisonous and that bugger will chase you. :eek: So when i first saw this one i jumped to a good distance:banana: and pestered it till i was surtain it was just a black snake.:headbang:

I had just mentioned there is no critters in the morror yet. Here it is (a baby to the giant in the bumper)

spidrsubarumcroppedge6.jpg

Now I am certain the electrical is good.... I saw a thread of web in rear view morror and thought it may be in the car with me. I looked into driver side morror and saw a leg......it never lunged into the car at me, as the little guy hung onto to 50's mph dangling off the mirror.

My Legacy seems to attract spiders too, even inside. I've gotten in the car in the morning several times, only to get tangled in spider webs.

I dunno why either, as I drive the car everyday, keep it clean inside, and always keep the windows shut...

Probably coz I live in FL :rolleyes:

My Legacy seems to attract spiders too, even inside. I've gotten in the car in the morning several times, only to get tangled in spider webs.

I dunno why either, as I drive the car everyday, keep it clean inside, and always keep the windows shut...

It is a reason to stay motivated about door seals and rust, and all the gaskets.... :confused: and keeping things like empty coffee cups out of the car with sugar in the bottom. :)

• 1 month later...
... if it is from the south, I am counting on a good wallop from an east coast hurricane anytime.....:confused:

Was my albino cross spider mimicking a big wet snow flake? I saw western new york today in the news with a record breaker snow fall. All the critters that were in the yard have disappeared.....I also recently read about a driver who crashed trying to get a spider off of himself after it lunged in at him locally. It soes to show there are others not expecting some of these critters the way we have been getting them this year. Now off to get a picture of those little tiny birds that flock together in crazy aerobatics landing on and around my car for reasons unknown. they are pecking at something on the ground all around it. I wonder if I deionized a low volt thief and they smell Mcdonalds or something climbing out from under the hood. Oh what nature can tell us. :)

That'll do it every time. I had a bunch of horned orb weavers in my work van, they were elbowing the palmetto bugs for living space. For those not in the know, "palmetto bugs" are extra-large flying cock-a-roaches that run from wee little babies that move at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light to hefty, three-inch monsters that just do a push-up when you try to smoosh 'em and then you can ride them like a little tiny creepy skateboard.

That'll do it every time. I had a bunch of horned orb weavers in my work van, they were elbowing the palmetto bugs for living space. For those not in the know, "palmetto bugs" are extra-large flying cock-a-roaches that run from wee little babies that move at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light to hefty, three-inch monsters that just do a push-up when you try to smoosh 'em and then you can ride them like a little tiny creepy skateboard.

Excellent, excellent description. nothing to add, just kudos.