Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey i just bought a 97 legacy and i took it out and everything thing is great but 2 things....#1. the antenna went up when i turned the radio on but it doesnt go down. The motor works and everything but i dont think the antenna is attached to the cable (anyone have any fixes or have had this problem before?).....#2 The temp guage at one point was going nuts....at idle it would go all the way up then come down when accelerating and then go up while cruising....and then out of the blue it stopped?....has anyone seen this before?....if so lemme know!

thanks for the help everyone

Not sure about the antenna, but the temp gauge thing may be the thermostat; very easy to change and if you do it might as well put in new coolant too. Are you low on coolant? Maybe there's an air pocket in there. I guess it could be the sender for the temp gauge or the temp gauge itself going batty or maybe some connection in between.

"#2 The temp guage at one point was going nuts....at idle it would go all the way up then come down when accelerating and then go up while cruising....and then out of the blue it stopped?....has anyone seen this before?....if so lemme know!"

- when you say it would go all the way up at idle, was that right after turning the car on, or after the engine had warmed up. How far would it come down when accelerating? And you said all of a sudden it stopped- like was this a one time deal? does it still do it off and on? any pattern to when it occurs?

i had my car do the same temp thing, only did it once. The gauge went up more like it was an electrical problem then an actual engine problem. It also came down extreemly fast.

Now that said, check the coolant level and condition. Replace the radiator cap. If it happens again turn on the heat and see if you have any. If you dont have heat there is an air bubble or a Head Gasket issue. Check the cooling fans.

DO NOT LET THE CAR OVERHEAT! As soon as you see it getting high start pulling over and let the car cool down.

nipper

I had the antenna problem on my 97 Legacy wagon also, I was able to clean and lighty grease the stem and it would work for awhile it finnaly got so bad that I run it to the top and unpluged the elc. plug there at the base of the antenna, it is now better then it ever was, and if you need to you can push it back in by hand for Auto car wash I think mine has been through a few times up without hurting it.

hey i just bought a 97 legacy and i took it out and everything thing is great but 2 things....#1. the antenna went up when i turned the radio on but it doesnt go down. The motor works and everything but i dont think the antenna is attached to the cable (anyone have any fixes or have had this problem before?).....#2 The temp guage at one point was going nuts....at idle it would go all the way up then come down when accelerating and then go up while cruising....and then out of the blue it stopped?....has anyone seen this before?....if so lemme know!

thanks for the help everyone

IT DID IT AGAIN!!!

there was splashing near the coolant tank and there were alot of bubble coming out of the (im assuming) the overflow tube(in the coolant resevoir)....the engine would heat up rapidly and the heater would blow cold air!

WHAT IS GOING ON!?

IT DID IT AGAIN!!!

there was splashing near the coolant tank and there were alot of bubble coming out of the (im assuming) the overflow tube(in the coolant resevoir)....the engine would heat up rapidly and the heater would blow cold air!

WHAT IS GOING ON!?

DAMNIT why is it always me?

you have a blown head gasket.

nipper

its a 2.5.....can you give me a ballpark repair price?

do a search on head gasket

ballpark 1200-1500. At the same time have the water pump replaced, timing belt, cam seals, main seal, reseal oil pump, and check replace the tensioner and idlers

Youll be good for 100,000 on those and for 200 on the HG or more.

nipper