Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi there,

I am due for some new struts on my 99 Legacy OB and saw some kyb units available, anyone using them? If not what is the preffered strut on these cars? It is my wifes car and I don't want to modify the ride to much but, I would prefer a little more dampning and control.

Also I have been trying to find some aftermarket springs, maybe even some type of cargo coil for the rear since I tow a trailer sometimes.

Thanks,

Billy

KYB GR2 are what I'm using on both of our subarus. Great struts. To me they are slightly stiffer than stock, but not too stiff a ride.

For overload coils to tow things with, the only place I have seen them is for 2000 and after at http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1675&NodeID=5397&RootID=1414

maybe someone else here will get you what you need for your 99.

KYB GR2's are what you want for struts, very happy with mine, and they're about the only option that's widely available. Purchased mine from tirerack, good service and pricing from them.

I put King Springs (an Aussie company) in my 97 OBW to lift it 2"... they are same height as stock but notably stiffer so when you install them it lifts the car slightly. King Springs probably makes some that will yield stock ride height but stiffer... another option is a company called Pedders, also from down under. Not familiar with their product but same idea as King Springs I believe.

Haven't towed a trailer but have hauled some rather heavy stuff in the car, and it's much better with my current setup than when it had worn-out OEM stuff.

Steve

02-03 wrx springs should be compatible with outback struts, and at the very most you'd need new upper front perches. The problem could be an uneven ride height. I would e-mail king springs and ask them. I think they have stuff for most Subarus.

Also, check e-bay for the gr2s. I usually see new sets going for less than what they cost at tirerack.

http://www.kingsprings.com/kings_master_catalogue.pdf

This one? It's there, try page 21. I used KSFR-26 and KSRR-25, which are the raised ones. You can also search for "scorpion" springs. Keep in mind that Subaru mfg. dates might not match up since Aus gets models a year before we do, typically.

Not sure if STD is any stiffer than OEM, you'd have to inquire with the mfg. I bought mine from a USMB member previously owned, saved some money over retail. Retail for a set of these is pretty high for a spring IMO, like $400 or so.

Steve

Ahhh thanks for the pointers. Somehow I just ended up at the WRX listings and just assumed that was the Subaru listings without looking at the rest of the catalog. Those raised '96 Outback springs might be just the ticket for my slight jack up of '96 Legacy....but of course that price you mentioned might be a bit high..was that $400 for all four?

KYB GR2 are what I'm using on both of our subarus. Great struts. To me they are slightly stiffer than stock, but not too stiff a ride.

For overload coils to tow things with, the only place I have seen them is for 2000 and after at http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1675&NodeID=5397&RootID=1414

maybe someone else here will get you what you need for your 99.

I very much agree! After suffering with Monroe replacements ( last car) I now only use KYB; They might cost a tad more, but the quality is night and day.

John

So what's the deal with the King Springs, I mean if you contact them, I take it they will ship to the U.S.? I don't see any dealers anywhere near the U.S. except maybe South Africa.

Agreed on the Monroe junk. I had two sets I installed myself back in '93 and they all started leaking in fairly short order.