Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 93 legacy wagon is reaching 400k, the original 2.2l head gasket went at 378k. I'm beginning to look for a replacement and remember reading about the infamous 2.5 head gasket problems, phase 1, phase 2. from what I understand the phase 2 engine doesn't have internal leaks etc. Can someone tell em what years to avoid (1995-1999 I think). I know that not all of them are bad, but I'm used to over 300k life before head gasket problems etc. When did the internal leaks end, was it 2000 before they got external leaks? I'd like to get an Outback, but am avoiding looking at 1995-1999 ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Pick one up cheap with a bad engine and then put a 95 2.2 in. Its a direct bolt up.

If you look at running cars, make sure you test drive for at least 30 minutes at heavy loads and then check the overflow tank for signs of air or oil deposits (nasty black stuff).

ive had a 87 and a 1998 and a 1997, i like the nice with the 2.5, and found nothing different about rpms on the highway. I did find out the tires make a differnce with road noise as opposed to the 13" tires on the 87.

for the billionth time, the HG issue is 10-15% of the cars. If it was around 50% everyone would be ***************ing. Any car over 120,000 miles can blow a head gasket. What you do have to watch out for is Torque bind. Drive the car in a tight circle both forwards and backwards left and right and check for shuddering. Make sure all the tires match and inspect the tranny fluid. TB is a 1000.00 repair and can be a bargining tool.

i got my 1997 outback as a steal because the car was mislisted and i knew it had TB. i still came out ahead as the car was priced over one thousand dollars less then market rate (love ebay and typos).

nipper

if you do a lot of highway driving you might find the higher revs of the outback gearing annoying. my 90 legacy AT cruises quieter at 80 than my 96 outback 2.2 MT.

thats due to the gearing of the manual. at at 70 or 80 is around ~2500-3000 rpm IIRC, manual at 70-80 is ~3500-4000 rpm and yeah, it is loud:headbang:

Well, if I were buying I would buy a 1995 or older one due to the OBDII related state inspection system we have in PA (as, I believe, in several other states).

Seriously.

Mike V.

Ditto. Emissions testing in this state is retarded. OBDII cars have to be connected to the computer and it has to read in - OBDI cars just get a visual inspection and gas cap check.