Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3.7 LSD question

Zefy

alright this doesn't specificly have to do purely with the LSD but anywho...

i pulled my diff off the RX rear suspension and took a look at it...

i discovered that one of the spindle studs had fallen out... everything seems to still be there... but when i was perusing my chiltons manual it showed that the spindle was removable from the outside (just an exploded view) but it didn't show how to put it back together...

so i need to know how to put it back in without it slipping out again...

in the middle of the spindle there is a threaded rod... does that hold it in? how do i fix!?!

any help is good help! :)

thanks!

not sure what the spindles are? the stubs, stubby shafts that the cv axle slides on? on the transmission they just pop out and pop in, having a circlip at the base to hold them in.

why did you remove the rear diff to begin with? seems like something was wrong to make you want to remove it? that info might help too.

can you post a picture, i'm not familiar with terminology of the rear diff, but a picture i can probably comment.

that "threaded rod" is the E10 bolt that holds the stub in. sounds like the head is fully busted off the bolt. I've had this happen before. You'll just need to get a bolt from another diff. Open and clutch LSD (RX) all use the same bolts. the VLSD from the early turbo legs, uses a c-clip.

alright this doesn't specificly have to do purely with the LSD but anywho...

i pulled my diff off the RX rear suspension and took a look at it...

i discovered that one of the spindle studs had fallen out... everything seems to still be there... but when i was perusing my chiltons manual it showed that the spindle was removable from the outside (just an exploded view) but it didn't show how to put it back together...

so i need to know how to put it back in without it slipping out again...

in the middle of the spindle there is a threaded rod... does that hold it in? how do i fix!?!

any help is good help! :)

thanks!

alright so i need to get a new bolt (the one in my 3.9 brat diff will work...?) and put in a new bolt... just for reference... it seems like the bolt is fine when i looked at it but i'll check agian...

it slid out with the stub... how tight should i torque this little guy? and is this thin walled socket something i could get easily?

and just for reference... all this stuff is going into the brat... :D

thanks! big help everybody!:)

It's a Snap-on tool for $34US or thereabouts. Dr. RX might have a part number for it.

alright so i need to get a new bolt (the one in my 3.9 brat diff will work...?) and put in a new bolt... just for reference... it seems like the bolt is fine when i looked at it but i'll check agian...

it slid out with the stub... how tight should i torque this little guy? and is this thin walled socket something i could get easily?

and just for reference... all this stuff is going into the brat... :D

thanks! big help everybody!:)

Don't tell anybody, but it you can get any more of those sockets at that price, I'll buy it!! I think the SnapOn version was 34 bucks.

i would be happy to hook everybody up with these little guys...:)

lets make sure they don't snap like tasty tasty doritos first...:-p

i think they had 5 or so more left...

• 2 weeks later...

alright... bring it back from the dead...

so i tested out the socket last week... and i have some good news! it didn't break!

the downside... i snapped my impact rated 3/8 to 1/4 adaptor...:rolleyes:

and i also snapped the heads off not just one bolt on the diff... but 8 bolts... off 4 diffs... so they are strong... (at least mine is...)

so i'll cut you guys a deal! i'm fresh out of diffs to break... so i will trade one of you the socket for one of these bloody bolts... sounds pretty fair to me?:D

who's up for it?