Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake upgrades for DL/GL/-10

beataru

My Gl-10 needs or well i want performance stopping power does anyone know of any mods that i can make (i have good friends with CNC machines) or pads or even this...... Can i fit 25rs brakes (which are on most every subie) or even STI brakes i have 15'' pugs on my car and im not geting lowersize rims ever... ill always stay with atleast 15's so back to my question... do i really need to upgrade to a 5 lug or would the calipers bolt in realitively easily? or am i beating a dead horse like my friend over here--->:horse:

4-lug suspension/brakes are completely different than any EJ stuff (i.e. 2.5 RS or STi). if you convert to 5-lug, you get bigger rears, but no room for upgrade beyond that, you'll still have the same calipers. but, if you use legacy/impreza front suspension/knuckles etc. in the 5-lug, the options for the front are endless

yes i bet... drums are so complicated looking for how much they suck!... the Gl-10 already has 4wheel disc brakes.. so im talking about crossdrilled rotors or somthing... just exploring the posibilities... and yes; i know i sound like a stupid ricer teenager when i say that word! 928 GTS (u soobie nuts need to get out more its a Porsche you know... those funny little cars with the engine in the back :grin: brakes would be sweet but... those definatly wouldnt fit in my wheels hehe.:horse:

If you go with the 5 bolt, you're limited to the XT-6 rear caliper, but in the front you can go big with the impreza knuckle, which will let you run the WRX front calipers, i believe, but that may be more than you want to spend.

Cross drilling and slotted rotors are for real racers, you'll never need them on the street, and besides, pads don't gas as much as they did anyway.

Unless you are going for bling, then by all means, bling away.

If you go with the 5 bolt, you're limited to the XT-6 rear caliper, but in the front you can go big with the impreza knuckle, which will let you run the WRX front calipers, i believe, but that may be more than you want to spend.

Cross drilling and slotted rotors are for real racers, you'll never need them on the street, and besides, pads don't gas as much as they did anyway.

Unless you are going for bling, then by all means, bling away.

There is a guy over on www.xt6.net that has put some 2 piston calipers onto the back of his XT6. I haven't read up on what he had to do but I believe there was quite a bit of modding that needed to be done to them and the backing plate of the car to get them to fit properly.

yeah but any old roo can get up to speed if your drafting behind a runaway semi! :brow: well... im going to increase the poweroutput of my roo sooner or later.. im more worried about fading resistance like in a big autocross run! where i would go around morethan onces in less than 5 mins!!! in a perfect world (sigh) but... i am going to build up a nicelt forged H-6 or put in an EJ25 and build that up..cant decide... Ej25 can pumpout the power but... who has an H-6 withover 400 horses that (with all the money in the world) revs to 8000 at least!!! :clap: :clap:

im looking towards swapping in front wrx brake setup in the front and new set of oem rotors and pads for an xt6 in the rear when i hopefully:slobber: go to an ej motor. as long as suspension is setup decently and there isnt to much bias to lock up the non-abs brakes:-p im sure that or anything similar (2.5rs or anything) would be totally ample stopping power. Seriously, wrx setup would be a big-brake kit if u really think about it, there designed to stop 3200lbs cars :banana:Just like my bro with his Galant VR4, those came stock with 3000gtvr4(the beast) brakes i beleive, so they stop on a DIME :lol:

hey beataru, not to bash, but a 928 gts is a front engine water cooled v8...911's, 912's, and 356's were rear engine water cooled, they are the real porsches. I would agree that porsche brakes would be ridiculously cool on a subaru. I do undercarriage details on 993's and the brakes are gigantic.

I know what the 928 is (its was to replace the 911.. it didnt work) the reason i want them is because they were ment to stop a hugely gigantic car... not for the name along the side. i mean think about it... I would have to get ABS to keep from locking them up when i stop at a streetlight... thats power babey! :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...
well... im going to increase the poweroutput of my roo sooner or later.. im more worried about fading resistance like in a big autocross run! where i would go around morethan onces in less than 5 mins!!!

You can get quite a bit of fade resistance with brake compound and air ducts to the rotors. After you get to that point, then you need to look at the larger heat-sinking capabilities of a larger rotor.