Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i put a new oxygen sensor in because of a check engine light. now with the new one in, the car starts with no light, after about a minute the light comes on. then stays on for a little while and then goes out. it doesn't do this every time. what could cause it.

i put a new oxygen sensor in because of a check engine light. now with the new one in, the car starts with no light, after about a minute the light comes on. then stays on for a little while and then goes out. it doesn't do this every time. what could cause it.

where did you purchase the o2 sensor

nipper

I'd interrogate the ECU (i.e., pull the codes) to see what it thinks is the problem.

Nick

if this is a 90, its obdI. he cant see it in real time, and if the CEL goes out im not even sure if that is storing codes on a level where he can see it...

nipper

if this is a 90, its obdI. he cant see it in real time, and if the CEL goes out im not even sure if that is storing codes on a level where he can see it...

nipper

All you need to do to pull the codes is connect the black connectors under the dash, turn the key to on, and read the CEL flashes. It will cycle through all the previously stored codes. Legacy777 has a guide on his site that also lists all the codes.

If you have a laptop, you can also build a cable and use a scan tool vrg3 made, and read parameters/codes in real time.

All you need to do to pull the codes is connect the black connectors under the dash, turn the key to on, and read the CEL flashes. It will cycle through all the previously stored codes. Legacy777 has a guide on his site that also lists all the codes.

If you have a laptop, you can also build a cable and use a scan tool vrg3 made, and read parameters/codes in real time.

never said he couldnt read the codes, i said i wasnt sure if it would store a code like this since it goes away.

i have to get that software :)

If he doesnt have a laptop he wont be able to see realtime :(

nipper

• 1 month later...

in my haynes manual it says their should be 30 ohms between pins 1 &2. i got 6.1 ohms

^

[1 2]

[3 4]

i also checked my other sensor and got the same. then it says to check pin 2 on the engine wiring and i got .017v. i also got 12v on pin 1

ok just checked my other subaru and got 10.1 ohms between 1&2. but i was thinking that can't be the problem because the sensor that i took out had about 10. ohms.