Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need a answer please, help me!

Texan and Nipper,as far as i can tell the air box is secure as much as possible,all four screws are secure,no cracks in the air tube,and all vacuum tubes are new. As my mechanic says it must be in the air flies,a little bit of something built up that needs to be removed.I honestly have no time to do this until this weekend,but my plan is to clean the flies and secure the air tube

more tightly around the base to eliminate any possibiltity of sucking sound as that is a good description of the sound I get.

John

Alot of tires, especially Bridgestones as I have seen come on the newer Subarus, howl at certain speeds as they are getting older. You may be experiencing the car being quiet enough at 40 to make the noise noticable and then other noises like wind, etc mask it past 40. You might request that the dealer put a different set of tires on the car from a demo car or something with newer tires, and go from there.

One trick that works with some cars is to take the entire top off the air cleaner and run it. Sometimes you leave the element in, sometimes not depending on design. A short run won't hurt and if the whistling stops you know where to look. Do not perform this test in a gravel pit.

Ok-I went on a 500 miler today and my sound happens at different RPM's,but it is definitely throttle related cause as soon as I hear it I can let off the throttle and it disappears,it seems to happen more when just maintaining speed,goes away releasing the throttle and stepping on it and doesn't do it at all on hills.Didn't think of it till just now but should have tried the cruise control. I know that my air box screws don't all tighten fully,got to figure that out this weekend,will let you know.

John