Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Moving to the next generation--95 Legacy

Well, after almost three weeks of looking, I now have a car--a dark red 95 Legacy L AWD, auto. It was a trade in at the Subaru dealer down the street from me--my friend the mechanic found it. It needs some work, probably front brakes and rear struts right now, and some minor body work (mainly somebody was doing the hummina-hummina on the hood :clap:). Otherwise it seems like a pretty solid wagon with 160,000 mi.--With a little luck we can get it fixed up and stay below $2000.00. This is my fifth soob, oddly enough, almost the same color as the first one.

We have a '95 wagon. Been a great car. We got it as a baby with only 125k on it. We now have about 170k. Had a fuel pump relay go that was a hassle, and somebody had installed and removed an alarm system, who's wiring caused our starter to lock out until we figured it out and removed their wire spagetti. Other than that it's been good ( knock, knock knock on wood....)

Good luck with yours!

... Otherwise it seems like a pretty solid wagon with 160,000 mi.--With a little luck we can get it fixed up and stay below $2000.00. This is my fifth soob, oddly enough, almost the same color as the first one.

Well, it's just nicely broken in then. :banana: I'd venture to say - "You done good!" My '95 had about the same mileage last year when I bought it. I'd suggest you get the oil pressure checked out - the oil pumps are less than wonderful in these. I ended up having mine replaced along with one blank of lifters at about 155k mi. If there's any top engine tapping, clicking, etc., I'd do it right away. I'd also reccomend you stick to 3k mi/3 month oil changes. Other than the OP, mine has 280k km on virtually all original parts other than the normal belts, seals, brake pads, etc. It was a one owner, mainly highway driven canoe transporter for ten years. I too use it mainly for long distances due to living in the hinterland. :) HTH.

Yeah, so far, I'd say I got lucky. Had it out for a couple hours this PM, about ten miles on the interstate and some bumper to bumper time in town--no ticks or clicks, temp stayed low, and it tracked straight. My friend had been letting me borrow another 95 wagon he had completely redone, so i've got a good idea of what one in spec is like. The interior's got a few stains and bleached spots, but I'm not going to worry about that too much--hey, she's 11 years old!

you can buy seats, if wait long enough and are willing to pay enough you can buy leather ........... ooooooooooo leather!!!! :banana:

Yeah, so far, I'd say I got lucky. Had it out for a couple hours this PM, about ten miles on the interstate and some bumper to bumper time in town--no ticks or clicks, temp stayed low, and it tracked straight. My friend had been letting me borrow another 95 wagon he had completely redone, so i've got a good idea of what one in spec is like. The interior's got a few stains and bleached spots, but I'm not going to worry about that too much--hey, she's 11 years old!

I'd suggest you get the oil pressure checked out - the oil pumps are less than wonderful in these.

Huh???

Oil pump are great on the 2.2 they do leak oil and the backing screws work themselves loose but this is an easy fix.

I have had several 2.2 that original pump went well over 200k.