Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oh goodie--more newbie questions!

Hello, I just bought my first Subaru (1998 Outback with 129k and winter package) after doing much research on this board. I've figured out how to replace the climate control bulbs, fix heat shield rattles, and keep the metal bracket above the rear license plate from rusting, learned all about torque bind, all thanks to this board. But I do have some questions I couldn't find answers for:

1. Are the power window switches supposed to be illuminated? Mine are not and it is annoying. My Toyotas all have illuminated switches, but a CR-V I owned did not either.

2. Same question for the heated seat switches. Although, my heated seats don't appear to be working at all. The switches do not light up and I don't feel the heat. I have not searched on this topic yet, but I'm hoping there's an easy solution such as cleaning switch contacts or changing the dash fuses.

3. The driver front seatbelt is frayed and needs to be replaced. Do these seatbelts have C02 or other type of pretensioners in them that I would need to be concerned about while replacing? Or are these just basic seat belts?

4. Does installing the fuse in the FWD holder really improve the fuel economy? One Subi that I test drove had the fuse installed because the owner claimed it bought mpg up to 30. However, when I removed the fuse and test drove, it had serious torque bind (I didn't buy that car). So, I'm not sure if he was just ignorant or if he was just trying to hide the torque bind.... It wouldnt' make much sense that it would improve mpg since everything is still spinning but figured I'd ask....

I test drove 7 Outbacks yesterday from 1995 to 1999, and I was able to pick a good one with only a couple minor things like burned out dash bulbs and needing a seatbelt. Thanks to this board, I was able to find minor to serious torque bind on several of the cars I test drove (and skipped), and picked a nice car! It's been well cared for (even the metal bracket above the rear license plate is clean), though I am going to change the oil, transmission fluid, coolant, and flush the brake fluid before the snow flies.

[...]

1. Are the power window switches supposed to be illuminated? Mine are not and it is annoying. My Toyotas all have illuminated switches, but a CR-V I owned did not either.

Not as far as I know; my own '99 OB has only a small green light above the driver's PW switch.

2. Same question for the heated seat switches. Although, my heated seats don't appear to be working at all. The switches do not light up and I don't feel the heat. I have not searched on this topic yet, but I'm hoping there's an easy solution such as cleaning switch contacts or changing the dash fuses.
The switches should be lit; they're powered via the instrument illumination circuit, so the bulbs may just need to be replaced. Seat heating is a separate issue; they're connected first through a 20A fuse and then the rear power supply relay. Does the rear accessory power outlet work?

1) onle the drivers window switch has a light, annoying at first but you'll get used to it.

2)the heated seat switches only light up when you turn them on, they have a orange light on the top and bottom. Flip the switch down and wait a few minutes to feel the heat.

3) No idea

4)that guy was a douchebag. Don't drive with the fwd use in, its just for emergencies

Welcome to the family

[...]2)the heated seat switches only light up when you turn them on, they have a orange light on the top and bottom. Flip the switch down and wait a few minutes to feel the heat.[...]

The wiring diagram I have shows the switches are illuminated on the '98 (aside from the orange indicators that show power is going to the seat heater). I just verified that on my own '99, so assuming the diagram is correct, the switches should be illuminated.

Well, I "fixed" the seat heaters. I pulled the panel and the fuse was fine, so my next step was to check the switches. I didn't have to do much after determining none of the 3 switches in the center console were plugged in :-\ . Sooooo, I plugged them in and magic presto, I have heated seats. The nice part is, both the top and bottom cushion elements work on both seats!

As far as the guy telling me to leave it in FWD mode for better fuel economy, I actually think he believed it. I looked at several vehicles this weekend including the 7 Subaru's, a few Toyota 4Runners, and a few other misc. vehicles and some of the things the private party people told me was just redicolous! I took a 4Runner for a test drive and the guy asked ME what the (automatic transmission) overdrive button was for on the shifter handle.... Uh... Another lady told me her 4Runner runs EXCELLENT and has no problems. Too bad it is running on 5 cylinders instead of 6! She apparently doesn't realize the engine misfire and lack of power. She also tried to convince me that the check engine light was on because of the alarm system. Uh, no. It was a close call between thinking these people were lying or just didn't know any better.....

Well, I "fixed" the seat heaters. I pulled the panel and the fuse was fine, so my next step was to check the switches. I didn't have to do much after determining none of the 3 switches in the center console were plugged in :-\ . Sooooo, I plugged them in and magic presto, I have heated seats.[...]

Great, I like simple "fixes". Of course, it does make you wonder how/why they got unplugged to begin with. :-\

I've heard comments both ways about the FWD fuse in and fuel economy; it doesn't seem like it really would make much difference as you stated because all the parts are still rotating.

However, the time I could see it making a difference would be in a torque bind issue or where the tires are not all the same circumference, then there might be power being wasted as heat in there. Therefore maybe the guy did put the fuse in to help mileage but it only helped because the thing had other issues anyway.

Welcome aboard, mnwolftrack. Congratulations on your purchase and on coming to USMB to "do your homework" before buying.

I am so impressed with people who are smart enough to use this board the way we all want it to be used--as the best doggone Subaru resource available!

Hope to hear more from you.

Definately glad to be here. I'm impressed with the amount of information available. I went from knowing very little about Subaru to pretending to be an expert while car shopping! I hope to stick around for a while, and even help people back as much as I can.

I've done all my own maintenance on my vehicles for the past 15 years, but my main background is Toyota pickups and 4Runners. The Subaru is actually for my wife, but I will be doing any and all work. I've done headgaskets, timing chains/belts, brakes, wheel bearings, radiators, differentials, suspension lifts, complete paint jobs, and just about everything else possible on the Toyota's. Hopefully some of my experience will carry over with the Subaru. I tried Land Rover, but I got tired of wiring issues, sticky valves, check engine lights, and 13mpg etc.... I debated between an Outback or an Audi A4 or A6 Quattro AWD, but the Audi's seem to be a bit on the expensive end as far as maintenance goes. Subaru's seem to be a little more reliable. No vehicle is perfect, but I expect it to be a good choice.